Resident attends Buchtel ceremony
To the editor:
As a 1986 graduate of The University of Akron and a 14-year resident of Green, I was surprised to learn in recent years that the founder of the university, John R. Buchtel, was born in Green. During a conversation last week with Pauline Franks, she reminded me of a dedication and ceremony that would take place this past Saturday at the Central Administration Building in honor of Mr. Buchtel’s many accomplishments and I am very glad I attended this event.
I had no idea how successful Mr. Buchtel had been in several businesses prior to the college he helped establish, in addition to a well-known public library in Akron that also had his assistance.
After the presentation, we walked to the Green Branch Library to witness the unveiling of the new Ohio Historical Marker in honor of this man. I would like to thank the many people who must have worked hard behind the scenes to make this dedication a reality, particularly Pauline Franks, who spent over 30 years working at The University of Akron’s Bierce Library and knows a few things about the history of Green. It was a special moment of pride for the city and the university.
Rick Jacobson, Green
- Fairlawn mayor urges ‘no’ vote on Issues 13-17
- Former teacher, board member supports bond issue
- Norton resident says Barberton partnership ‘overdue’
- Bath man questions need for conservancy
- Cartoon: 10-20-16
- Purple Martin Association official appreciates state designation
- Green resident questions City Council raises
- Cartoon: 10-21-16
Calendar of Events
- Drybrush Watercolor - 10/22/2016
- Easy Street Band - 10/22/2016
- Ghouls (and Guys) Just Want to Have Fun Wine and Canvas Night - 10/22/2016
- Yoga and Mimosa; Yoga and Wine - 10/22/2016
- “Tails from the Witch’s Cauldron” - 10/22/2016