Panhandlers choose occupation, reader says
To the editor:
I note that you quote [Summit] County Councilwoman Ilene Shapiro [(D-at large)] as having said: “When we register somebody and allow them to be a panhandler, we are saying that they’re a business.” [“County considering new panhandling regs for townships,” July 25, 2013, West Side Leader].
She’s right. Panhandlers are in business. They have found that they can best utilize their time and effort by soliciting “gifts” from passersby. If they could earn more by doing something else, that’s what they’d do. But they believe that they can earn more as beggars than in any other line of work, so they beg. For them, panhandling is the business they have chosen to engage in.
Dave Garthoff, West Akron
Calendar of Events
- Adventurers of the Year Amy and Dave Freeman - 3/27/2015
- Alice Tan Ridley - 3/27/2015
- Astronomy Club of Akron: NASA Chief Pilot Alan Mickelwright - 3/27/2015
- Brass Band of the Western Reserve - 3/28/2015
- Basket Weaving 101: Easter Basket - 3/28/2015