Dyer recommends Stoynoff for board seat
To the editor:
I am writing in support of Katie Stoynoff’s candidacy for the Green [Local Schools] Board of Education. I don’t do this for just anyone. But I believe so strongly in Katie’s potential to lead our children’s schools that I felt compelled to write on her behalf.
Katie has spent her life around education, currently serving as assistant director of the writing program at The University of Akron. She knows what our kids need in order to succeed in college and the workplace.
Katie also understands both the Common Core curriculum and the challenges that districts have with its implementation. As the Education Policy Fellow at Innovation Ohio, as well as the legislative author of a national award winning education funding and reform bill, I know the impact of state policy at the local level.
Katie does, too. She will hold our state legislators accountable for providing the thorough and efficient system of public schools the Ohio Constitution demands, as she did when I was state Representative [for District 43 in 2007-10].
With the increasing reduction in state funding, school districts will face additional challenges related to providing an education for students that prepares them for the future while at the same time respecting the limits of taxpayers. I am confident that Katie knows these challenges and will use her skills and experience to overcome them.
As an overseer of a budget that is primarily made up of our property taxes, any school board candidate [should] demonstrate both an impeccable record of paying property taxes in the community they wish to serve and responsible stewardship of their own finances. I consider these requirements to be a minimal candidate threshold.
Katie owns her home in Green, has never been delinquent on property taxes, has never been foreclosed on and has never filed for bankruptcy.
I urge the residents of Green to vote for one of their own: Katie Stoynoff for School Board.
Stephen Dyer, Green
- Reader voting for Roemer
- Teacher supports Charney
- West Akron man wants ‘more for our buck’
- Richfield resident urging yes on Issues 10-11
- Student supports Prentice
- New Franklin woman wants Clinton to pay for police protection
- Parent/teacher supporting Springfield levies
- Coventry teacher requesting renewal of levy
- Coventry resident responds to superintendent
- New Franklin man promoting candidates
- Coventry board official asking for ‘yes’ vote
Calendar of Events
- The Tubes - 10/24/2014
- Tales for Tots - 10/24/2014
- Voices in the Valley: The Numbers Band - 10/24/2014
- Socks in the Frying Pan - 10/24/2014
- A New Beginning - 10/25/2014