A controversial logo, without question
Dear Cleveland Indians fan,
As you may have heard, the team is conducting a survey. We’d like your input on a variety of topics, including your thoughts on a particular logo that has been a point of controversy for some time.
Please choose the most appropriate answer.
To me, Chief Wahoo is:
- like a member of my family.
- like a member of my family I keep having to apologize for.
The last time I attended an Indians game:
- I purchased memorabilia with Chief Wahoo on it.
- I did not purchase memorabilia with Chief Wahoo on it.
- “Frasier” was a popular show on TV.
In 1953, the Indians introduced a logo depicting Chief Wahoo wearing a crown. The thought behind this was:
- To achieve your goal, you must actualize it.
- Let’s see if this supreme act of hubris will jinx the team for the next half century.
I put on a Chief Wahoo sweatshirt because:
- I want to make a statement that the controversy is overblown.
- I want to show loyalty to my favorite team.
- I am chilly.
Let’s say the current logo were “tweaked.” Which of these variations would you find most acceptable?
- Chief Inspector Wahoo
- Chef Wahoo
- Dr. Hoo
If the Indians ever got rid of Chief Wahoo, the headline plastered on the sports page would be:
- “Indians bow to political correctness”
- “Indians make long overdue decision”
- “Browns quarterback buys new pair of slacks”
Many years from now, long after Chief Wahoo is retired, the general consensus will be:
- We can’t believe this logo was once considered acceptable.
- We never should have gotten rid of it.
- Back in the day, the mascot Slider was a man in a costume, not a living, breathing creature created through genetic engineering. My, how far we’ve come.
Thank you for completing this survey. We’ll tabulate the results, perform statistical analysis and create a painstakingly detailed book of charts and diagrams. Then we’ll count how many Chief Wahoo T-shirts have been sold in the team shop and take it from there.
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 7/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 7/23/2014
- Music in the Meadow: Mo’ Mojo - 7/23/2014
- Mosaic Picture Frame for grades 5-12 - 7/24/2014
- Taste of Akron - 7/24/2014