Operation Christmas Child thanks area residents
To the editor:
I’m writing to thank Akron-area residents for their generosity in helping thousands of suffering children worldwide this Christmas. Through their efforts, we were able to collect 47,450 shoeboxes — filled with toys, school supplies and hygiene items — for Operation Christmas Child, the world’s largest Christmas project of its kind. These simple gift-filled shoeboxes communicate to needy children that they are loved and not forgotten.
Although drop-off locations in the Akron area are closed until November 2014, shoebox gifts can be packed any time. Gifts are received year-round at Samaritan’s Purse (801 Bamboo Road, Boone, N.C., 28607) or using the project’s online tool, where donors can virtually build a box. To get involved, visit www.samaritanspurse.org or call 937-374-0761.
Thanks again to everyone who participated in this project. A simple gift, packed with love, can communicate hope and transform the lives of children worldwide.
Bonnie Freeman, Great Lakes regional director, Operation Christmas Child
Calendar of Events
- Norma Wagner Uray: Fashion Illustrations - 8/21/2014
- Highland Book Club: “Trains and Lovers,” by Alexander McCall Smith - 8/21/2014
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation Support Group - 8/21/2014
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 8/21/2014
- GriefCare Place - 8/21/2014