ThistleDown move? That’s a horse of a different county
On the Mark — By Craig Marks
TOP SECRET MEMORANDUM
As you know, Rock Ohio Caesars has asked me to scout possible locations for the ThistleDown Racino if it were to move from its current location in North Randall. I have compiled my suggestions, focusing only on those locations that would be practical and cost-effective.
Converting the Spaghetti Warehouse into a casino
Pros: Lots of space. Downtown location. According to Wikipedia, its chandelier once belonged to the Dunes casino in Las Vegas.
Possible name: Warehouse of Cards
Convert Stan Hywet and Gardens into a casino
Possible slogan: It’s like “Downton Abbey” meets “The Hangover!”
Pros: Racehorses could be kept in the carriage house.
Cons: The Dowager Countess would not approve.
Convert the Harry London chocolate factory into a casino
Pros: Close to the Akron-Canton Airport, situated right off the interstate. From what I know about chocolate factories, their talented work force could easily be retrained to work at a casino.
Cons: While exceedingly bright, Oompa-Loompas can be terribly moralistic.
Convert a woodland area into an outdoor gambling venue
Possible name: Metro Parks, Serving Half-Price Drinks During Happy Hour
Pros: Delightful weather at least three weeks every year
Cons: Acorns falling on roulette wheels might cause confusion
Convert Canal Park ballpark into a casino
Pros: Orbit the Cat would make a good greeter.
Cons: Foul balls landing on blackjack tables could be disruptive.
Possible name: The Lucky Duck Casino (not to be confused with the Lucky Shoe Casino, for the well-heeled gambler).
Convert retired Spirit of Goodyear blimp into a floating casino
Possible name: Caesar’s Cloud Palace
Pros: Would appeal to high rollers not afraid of heights.
Cons: Racehorses may be spooked by the enclosed space.
Convert Akron Zoo into a casino
Possible name: The Flamingo (name may already be taken)
Pros: If we’ve learned anything from cartoons, it’s that an octopus makes a great blackjack dealer and penguins make great waiters
Cons: Snake eyes
I’ll await your decision.
- Reader voting for Roemer
- Teacher supports Charney
- West Akron man wants ‘more for our buck’
- Richfield resident urging yes on Issues 10-11
- Student supports Prentice
- New Franklin woman wants Clinton to pay for police protection
- Parent/teacher supporting Springfield levies
- Coventry teacher requesting renewal of levy
- Coventry resident responds to superintendent
- New Franklin man promoting candidates
- Coventry board official asking for ‘yes’ vote
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 10/25/2014
- Easy Street Band - 10/25/2014
- PAWS for Reading with service dog Molly - 10/25/2014
- Identifying Your Family Photographs - 10/25/2014
- Norton Women’s Club Craft and Gift Show - 10/25/2014