Portage Lakes Purple Martin Association excited about first step
To the editor:
At 4:20 p.m. on April 2, Ohio House Speaker William Batchelder [R-District 69] slammed his gavel and said, “The bill passes.”
The long wait was over. It had been 10 years since the first legislation was initiated and now it had happened. House Bill 404 that designates the Portage Lakes area as Purple Martin Capital of Ohio had passed with an 83-0 vote. What a great moment! And now on to the Ohio Senate for passage.
The Portage Lakes Purple Martin Association [(PLPMA)] was founded in the year 2000 by the Portage Lakes Advisory Council as a proactive approach to insect control in the Portage Lakes area. This experiment has proved itself very effective. Without chemical insecticides that foul our air and water, residents can now enjoy the sunsets without being chased inside by swarms of bugs.
The stated mission of the PLPMA is to propagate purple martins and to educate the public on the benefits of these birds. Last year, the PLPMA had 212 nesting pairs and fledged 744 babies. We host Buckeye Martinfest. This year’s event is at 2 p.m. June 28 at the State Mill Road launch on North Reservoir.
We want to thank Ohio House District Reps. Marilyn Slaby [R-District 38] and Anthony DeVitis [R-District 36] for their hard work in getting Ohio House Bill 404 passed. It is no easy task to get a bill passed through the legislature. This bill is very important to the people of Ohio. Hopefully we will serve as a model for other communities to get involved and to use birds to control insect populations.
Larry Hunter, New Franklin
- Reader voting for Roemer
- Teacher supports Charney
- West Akron man wants ‘more for our buck’
- Richfield resident urging yes on Issues 10-11
- Student supports Prentice
- New Franklin woman wants Clinton to pay for police protection
- Parent/teacher supporting Springfield levies
- Coventry teacher requesting renewal of levy
- Coventry resident responds to superintendent
- New Franklin man promoting candidates
- Coventry board official asking for ‘yes’ vote
Calendar of Events
- The Tubes - 10/24/2014
- Tales for Tots - 10/24/2014
- Voices in the Valley: The Numbers Band - 10/24/2014
- Socks in the Frying Pan - 10/24/2014
- A New Beginning - 10/25/2014