Portage Lakes Purple Martin Association excited about first step
To the editor:
At 4:20 p.m. on April 2, Ohio House Speaker William Batchelder [R-District 69] slammed his gavel and said, “The bill passes.”
The long wait was over. It had been 10 years since the first legislation was initiated and now it had happened. House Bill 404 that designates the Portage Lakes area as Purple Martin Capital of Ohio had passed with an 83-0 vote. What a great moment! And now on to the Ohio Senate for passage.
The Portage Lakes Purple Martin Association [(PLPMA)] was founded in the year 2000 by the Portage Lakes Advisory Council as a proactive approach to insect control in the Portage Lakes area. This experiment has proved itself very effective. Without chemical insecticides that foul our air and water, residents can now enjoy the sunsets without being chased inside by swarms of bugs.
The stated mission of the PLPMA is to propagate purple martins and to educate the public on the benefits of these birds. Last year, the PLPMA had 212 nesting pairs and fledged 744 babies. We host Buckeye Martinfest. This year’s event is at 2 p.m. June 28 at the State Mill Road launch on North Reservoir.
We want to thank Ohio House District Reps. Marilyn Slaby [R-District 38] and Anthony DeVitis [R-District 36] for their hard work in getting Ohio House Bill 404 passed. It is no easy task to get a bill passed through the legislature. This bill is very important to the people of Ohio. Hopefully we will serve as a model for other communities to get involved and to use birds to control insect populations.
Larry Hunter, New Franklin
- Fairlawn mayor urges ‘no’ vote on Issues 13-17
- Former teacher, board member supports bond issue
- Norton resident says Barberton partnership ‘overdue’
- Bath man questions need for conservancy
- Cartoon: 10-20-16
- Purple Martin Association official appreciates state designation
- Green resident questions City Council raises
- Cartoon: 10-21-16
Calendar of Events
- “Industrial Valley” - 10/24/2016
- B4 Bed: Stories for Adults - 10/24/2016
- Cardio Hike - 10/24/2016
- Succulent Barn Wood Centerpiece Workshop; Succulent Pumpkin Centerpiece Workshop - 10/25/2016
- Collage 2016 - 10/26/2016