Bath resident responds to letter
To the editor:
I would like to respond to the letter from Charlie Lemon in The Leader May 15, 2014 [“Ohio Voter Bill of Rights needed, says Norton resident”].
I have heard many times how having to show a photo ID in order to vote will infringe on the poor, people of color, the elderly and young people in college. People who make this statement of course never say how these classes of people will be kept from voting without a photo ID.
- Early voting does not need to be so many days.
- Sending out absentee ballots to all registered voters is not needed and is very costly.Anyone can request an absentee ballot.
- It is not difficult to register to vote and never has been.
Here is a list of just some of the things that require a photo ID: purchasing alcohol and cigarettes; opening a bank account; applying for welfare or food stamps; applying for Medicaid and Social Security; applying for unemployment or a job; renting or buying a home; driving/buying or renting a car; getting married; adopting a pet; obtaining a hotel room; applying for a hunting or fishing license; buying a cell phone; and picking up a prescription.
There are much more than this, and believe it or not, in some drugstores you even have to show a photo ID to purchase nail polish, and yet people want to complain that you need a proper ID to vote. If you take the voting process seriously, you will take the time to have what is required to do so.
Please stop using excuses. Register and then get out and vote!
Diane King, Bath
- Organizers thank Stand Down event supporters
- Letter has inaccuracies, says reader
- League of Women Voters corrects Voters’ Guide
- Area man advocates for Fowler on state board
- Cartoons: 10-16-14
- Springfield resident questions DeVitis’ stance on two issues
- Charter Commission member against Issue 32
- Coventry residents say call school for answers
Calendar of Events
- Civil War Talk: General Sheridan - 10/20/2014
- Akron History Hike: Old Stone School - 10/20/2014
- Amazing World of Bats - 10/21/2014
- A New Beginning - 10/22/2014
- Bastille - 10/22/2014