Ohio Military Reserve seeking participants willing to serve
To the editor:
I would like to take this opportunity to inform your readers about the Ohio Military Reserve.
The Ohio Military Reserve (OHMR) is a state defense force, legally authorized to the 50 states, Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S Virgin Islands and the District of Columbia.
In Ohio, the OHMR is formed under the legal authority of Chapter 5920 of the Ohio Revised Code, which designates the governor of Ohio as the commander-in-chief of the OHMR. The OHMR is also one of the constituent components of the Organized Militia of Ohio, along with the Ohio National Guard and the Ohio Naval Militia. The Adjutant General of Ohio serves as the commander of the OHMR, through the OHMR Brigade Commander.
Currently, 20 states and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico maintain state defense forces (SDFs). These SDFs perform different missions as directed by their respective governors and adjutants general. The primary mission of the OHMR is to provide a fully manned and mission-ready civil support and sustainment brigade to support the state’s Emergency Support Function 6 (mass care) and Emergency Support Function 7 (logistics and resource support) during natural or man-made disasters or other threats to homeland security. To accomplish this mission, OHMR units are trained in medical support, volunteer reception and management and logistics support, in addition to basic soldier skills.
If you are between 17 and 60, are in an acceptable physical condition and can spend one to two days per month at drill and one week a year at annual training, then the OHMR can be your key to a rewarding experience of service to your country, to your state and to your fellow citizens.
Deano McNeil, Medina
- Fairlawn mayor urges ‘no’ vote on Issues 13-17
- Former teacher, board member supports bond issue
- Norton resident says Barberton partnership ‘overdue’
- Bath man questions need for conservancy
- Cartoon: 10-20-16
- Purple Martin Association official appreciates state designation
- Green resident questions City Council raises
- Cartoon: 10-21-16
Calendar of Events
- Drybrush Watercolor - 10/22/2016
- Easy Street Band - 10/22/2016
- Ghouls (and Guys) Just Want to Have Fun Wine and Canvas Night - 10/22/2016
- Yoga and Mimosa; Yoga and Wine - 10/22/2016
- “Tails from the Witch’s Cauldron” - 10/22/2016