Testa Builders named HBA Builder of the Year
Members honored, leaders inaugurated
|Fred Zumpano, at left, and Jim McIntyre were presented with the Life Member award.|
Testa received this award at the HBA’s annual installation banquet Dec. 4. Testa is the first company to be awarded this honor four times, having won in 1979, 2003 and 2005.
Founded in 1967, Testa Builders is a residential and commercial builder located in Cuyahoga Falls. Testa has been a member of the HBA for more than 35 years and participates in numerous HBA events. Paul Testa served as HBA president in 1983, and his son Joel served as president in 2008.
Each of the HBA’s more than 500 member companies nominated their choice for builder of the year. The results were tallied, and a second ballot was mailed with the top five nominees. Members then ranked those builders.
|Paul and Joel Testa, of Testa Builders Inc., were presented with the 2010 HBA Builder of the Year Award Dec. 4 as voted on by members of the Home Builders Association Serving Portage and Summit Counties.|
|Photos courtesy of Home Builders Association Serving Portage and Summit Counties|
Also at the banquet, 11 members were honored and recognized for their service and participation for 2010:
• The Associate Tradesman of the Year award recognizes contributions of time, manpower, finances and reputable, professional business operation. This year two members were awarded: Greg Hibbard, of Hibbard Foundations, and Jacob Grimm, of Brothers Grimm Landscape and Design Inc.
Hibbard has served on the HBA board for nine years and is actively involved in several committees and events. Grimm served on the board for the first time in 2010 and is active in the Akron Home and Flower Show and co-hosted the HBA’s radio show on WNIR.
• The Associate Supplier of the Year award was presented to two members: Elaine Tuttle, of Andersen Windows and Doors, and Marvin Cooper, of Trumbull Industries. This award is presented to members who make outstanding contributions throughout the year as judged by the HBA’s Board of Trustees.
Over the last year, both recipients were involved in many HBA events.
• Committee Chairmen of the Year is presented to the committee chair who has done a particularly outstanding job with his or her assignment. Honored were Eric Goff, of Goff Builders; Len Huddleston, of Design Construction; and Scott Strayer, of Helen Scott Custom Builders, for their work on the HBA Building Codes Committee.
This committee meets regularly with code officials to discuss current issues and have a working relationship with almost all building departments in the HBA’s jurisdiction, according to HBA officials
• The President’s Award is annually awarded at the discretion of the HBA president. This year, president Lance Schmidt recognized Greg Hibbard.
Hibbard Foundations has been an active HBA member for more than 35 years, and Hibbard has shown outstanding support by serving on committees, attending HBA functions regularly and demonstrating character and support throughout the industry downturn, according to HBA officials.
• The Greg Seib Spirit Award was presented to Louise Sturmi, of MTO Clean. This award is given in memory of a long-time HBA member to a member whose enthusiasm, commitment, attitude and participation typified what the HBA shared with Greg Seib.
• HBA Life Member awards were given to Jim McIntyre, of Signet Consulting, and Fred Zumpano, of Fred Zumpano Design and Construction.
McIntyre has been a member for 37 years and has earned 106 spike credits for sponsoring new members. He served on the HBA board for five years and the executive committee. He rewrote the HBA building contract, edited the construction standards and is a past president of Habitat for Humanity.
Zumpano has been a member for 25 years and has served on the board for 11. He was president in 2006 and a three-time Builder of the Year winner. He has served on many HBA committees and is past vice president of Habitat for Humanity and president-elect of Rebuilding Together Summit County.
The HBA also installed 2011 officers and trustees. The new president is Richard Bancroft, of Bancroft-Miller Development LLC in Parma Heights.
The HBA Executive Committee for 2011 includes: Vice President Steve Miller, Uniontown; Secretary/Treasurer Todd Ederer, of Ederer Construction in Akron; and Immediate Past President Schmidt, of F.G. Ayers Inc. in Akron.
Installed as the 2011 Board of Trustees were: Hallie Bowie, of New Leaf Home Design; Julie Brandle, of Stouffer Realty; Tony Crasi, of Crasi Co. Inc.; Goff; Patrick Goodhart, of Dynamic Construction; Hibbard; Huddleston; Pam Keenan, of Lawyers Title; Fred Langguth, of Galehouse Lumber; Tony Malorni, of AtNetPlus; Michael Marochino, of Marochino Construction; Jeff Naragon, of Naragon Irrigation; Julie Oliver, of Stouffer Realty; Peter Paino, of Paino Building Corp.; Don Shultz, of DCS Building Corp.; Strayer; Sturmi; Jeff Tucker, of Freedom Building Inc.; Tuttle; and Zumpano.
More Real Estate News
Calendar of Events
- Spring Nature Hikes - 5/22/2013
- Summit Children’s Choir - 5/22/2013
- “Calamity Jane” - 5/23/2013
- Book Sale and Bizarre Bazaar - 5/25/2013
- Art Sale - 5/25/2013