Architectural Heritage Award winners unveiled
WEST AKRON — On Sept. 17, the Summit County Historical Society (SCHS) and the Preservation Alliance of Greater Akron (PAGA) announced the winners of the 2012 Architectural Heritage Awards at Akrona Galleries.
Awards were presented by Diane Orender, PAGA board president, and Leianne Neff Heppner, SCHS executive director, and the panel of jurors.
Awards presented were:
• Community and Advocacy Award: The Legacy of Roy G. Firestone — presented to Mary Firestone Norval;
• Merit Award for Adaptive Reuse: Preserving a Community Anchor — presented to Austen BioInnovation in Akron (Kyle Kutuchief, director of development, accepted the award on behalf of Dr. Frank Douglas);
• Superior Residential Preservation Award: An Akron Historic Landmark — presented to Jack and Sara Jeter;
• Visual Impact on Community Identity Award: Scenic Rehabilitation — presented to Peninsula United Methodist Church (accepting was Trustee Chuck Simons);
• Community Education and Advocacy Award: Preservation of a Land Use — presented to Holland Farm (accepting on behalf of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park was historian Paulette Cossel and Darwin Kelsey for Countryside Conservancy);
• Stewardship Maintenance Award: Single Family Residential — presented to Ceetle Vance’s “Dream House” (accepted by current owner Joseph Vance);
• Adaptive Reuse and Sensitive Addition Award: Raising the Bar — presented to the Akron Bar Association (accepting was Terry Ufholz, past president of the Akron Bar Association; also in attendance were Donnie Long, director, Mann Architects and Sveda Architects); and
• The Ruth Wright Clinefelter Award: A Lifetime of Preservation Work — presented to Don Reisig (Reisig and his wife were joined by their children Marty (Linda) Reisig and Beth (Les) Walsh, grandchildren Andrey and Emily, and numerous friends and clients from his 50-year career).
Jurors for the award selections included: Vic Fleischer, archivist at The University of Akron Archives and a PAGA board member; Bill Flemm, vice president of Fifth Third Bank and a PAGA board member; Mark Gilles, architect for Architectural Restoration and Renovation Consultants Inc., of Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens; Chris Roddy, visitor services manager at the Kingwood Center; and Mark Delaney Smith, architect at Design Management.
More Real Estate News
Calendar of Events
- Steve Cipriano - 12/17/2014
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation Support Group - 12/17/2014
- Akron Symphony Holiday Pops - 12/18/2014
- Yoga in the Park - 12/18/2014
- Weekday Walkers - 12/18/2014