WHNO presenting annual Housing Awards
WEST HILL — The West Hill Neighborhood Organization Inc. (WHNO) will present Housing Awards for the 11th year at its annual meeting Oct. 3.
The grassroots organization each year recognizes those West Hill/Highland Square residents and businesses that have demonstrated outstanding community service in the area of housing as well as those that have improved their properties in a special way.
The meeting is open to the public and will begin at 7 p.m. at the Church of Our Saviour Episcopal, 147 Crosby St. The meeting will include light food and refreshments and a recognition ceremony for the winners, as well as a brief overview of the organization and accomplishments this year, and plans for projects next year.
There will be a 50/50 raffle and a raffle for a Mustard Seed gift basket. Proceeds will benefit the West Hill/Highland Square community and further the WHNO mission of improving and enhancing the quality of life in the West Hill/Highland Square area, according to WHNO officials.
The Housing Award winners are:
• President’s Award — Adele Roth, economic development manager for the city of Akron, for her work to bring Mustard Seed Market to Highland Square;
• Business Award — Glendale Cemetery, for community enhancement and partnership with WHNO and others to foster community pride;
• Community Caretaker Award — Bobby Bush, for taking the initiative to beautify the community by mowing vacant property lawns throughout the neighborhood;
• Jill Coleman, 131 Oakdale Ave., for exterior front porch decoration and maintenance on the upper and lower porches;
• Yvette Copeland and Susan Woodworth, 79 Beck Ave., for exterior paint and landscaping;
• Leslie Longstreth, 705 Wellesley Avenue, for stonework landscaping; and
• Christopher and Elizabeth Dowling, 101 Oakdale Ave., for new front steps and reconstruction of front porch brick walls that maintain historic integrity.
Those who are interested in learning more about WHNO or volunteering may contact Jane Startzman at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
More Real Estate News
Calendar of Events
- Drop-In Nature Crafts for All Ages - 7/30/2015
- Plein Air Exhibition - 7/30/2015
- “Jupiter Ascending” - 7/30/2015
- Akron Pops Orchestra - 7/30/2015
- Mostly Blues Band with Peggy Coyle - 7/30/2015