ODA offers tips for purchasing firewood
OHIO — As winter approaches and more Ohioans look to firewood to help heat their homes, Director David Daniels, of the Ohio Department of Agriculture (ODA), is asking Ohioans to be aware of some basic tips to help when purchasing wood.
Prior to purchasing, the following firewood rules and regulations are helpful to know:
- Nonpackaged firewood must be sold by the cord or by fractions of a cord. One cord, when properly stacked, should be 8 feet long by 4 feet high and 4 feet wide (128 cubic feet).
- If sold in bulk, firewood must be purchased by the weight in ton measurements. This must be weighed on a certified scale.
- It is illegal to sell firewood by any other unit of measurement, such as a rick, rack, face cord or truckload. If a consumer believes that a seller did not comply with these rules and regulations, the person should immediately contact the seller.
- If non packaged firewood is purchased, the seller must present the consumer with a delivery ticket or sales invoice that includes contact information and the terms and conditions of the sale.
- If firewood is advertised and sold as “seasoned,” it must have a moisture content of less than 50 percent. “Unseasoned” wood will only produce two-thirds of the heat of “seasoned” wood.
If the firewood is advertised and sold as a certain type of wood, the load must contain at least 90 percent of that species.
If a problem occurs with a firewood sale and the seller will not correct the problem, consumers should contact the ODA’s Division of Weights and Measures at 800-282-1955 or contact a local weights and measures inspector located in each county auditor’s office.
In Summit County, the Fiscal Office’s Department of Weights and Measures can be reached at 330-630-7228. The Medina County Auditor’s Office can be reached at 330-725-9754.
More Real Estate News
Calendar of Events
- Gold Tones Jazz Concert - 3/22/2017
- Full Circle Storytelling - 3/22/2017
- After School Drawing Class - 3/22/2017
- Meet Me in the Garden - 3/22/2017
- Warbler Warm-Up - 3/23/2017