Homepage | Archives | Calendar of Events | Exploring Akron | Lawn & Garden | Pets | Death Notices | People & Places | Faith & Worship | Get email news alerts | About Us
Real Estate & Home

West Side Real Estate News & Notes

10/31/2013 - West Side Leader
      permalink bookmark

By Staff Writer

Fuel Fund Assistance Day set at Job Center

DOWNTOWN AKRON — The Summit County Department of Community and Economic Development will host a Fuel Fund Assistance Day for all income-qualified FirstEnergy/Ohio Edison customers today, Oct. 31, starting at 8 a.m. at the Job Center, 1040 E. Tallmadge Ave.

Applicants will be given a number upon arrival, and only 200 numbers will be distributed. Those who arrive after 2 p.m., after the numbers have been distributed or who would like additional information are asked to call the county’s fuel fund information line at 330-643-2068.

Eligibility for assistance is based on a household income at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty level. Those applying for fuel fund assistance must provide the following: photo identification (driver’s license or other form of photo identification); Social Security card; most recent delinquent electric bill or termination notice; proof of gross monthly income for all persons residing in the home for the past 30 days from the date of application; and proof of a good faith payment within the past 90 days of the date in which the customer applies for assistance.

The person applying for assistance must be the person whose name appears on the utility bill. If not, he or she must have a letter from the ratepayer dated within seven days from the date of application giving him or her permission to apply for assistance on his or her behalf.

County officials said individuals are eligible once every 12 months to receive assistance. Payments cannot apply to a deferred or finalized account balance. Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) payments are not considered a good faith payment. The program is also not available to help those who are served by the city of Cuyahoga Falls’ utilities.

Fiscal Office issues third billing for delinquent taxes

DOWNTOWN AKRON — Property tax bills have been mailed to owners of properties that have not yet paid their real estate taxes, officials at the Summit County Fiscal Office said.

This third billing was sent out as a courtesy, according to Summit County Fiscal Officer Kristen Scalise. The closing date for payment is Nov. 27. Failure to pay by that date may result in the office publishing the taxpayer’s name in a newspaper publication, as required by law.

On Dec. 2, statutory interest will be charged against any unpaid taxes. If a property owner’s mortgage lender or someone else is responsible for a real estate tax payment, the owner must contact them and forward the tax bill to them. Ohio law states it is the taxpayer’s responsibility to obtain and pay their tax bill on time.

Payments may be made in several ways:

  • in person at the Fiscal Office, Treasurer Division, on the third floor of the Ohio Building, 175 S. Main St., from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Mondays through Fridays;
  • mailed to the above address (ZIP code 44308) with a U.S. postmark by Nov. 27;
  • online or by phone with a credit card or e-check at www.fiscaloffice.summitoh.net. Payments are processed by Official Payments Corp., which charges a service fee of 2.5 percent of the total on Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover transactions; $3.95 on Visa Debit transactions; and $2 for an electronic check payment; or
  • in-person cash payments through MoneyGram at 35,000 locations nationwide. Payments are processed through Official Payments Corp., which charges a nominal service fee and provides guaranteed same-day transactions. To locate a MoneyGram center, go to the Fiscal Office website or call 800-MoneyGram.

Scalise said third billing payments cannot be paid at a bank.

The office also asks that taxpayers with address changes send a written notice or email to summittreas@summitoh.net as to where future tax bills should be mailed.

The Fiscal Office offers plans to assist in the payment of delinquent taxes. For details, call 330-643-2600.

Kathleen Folkerth contributed to these reports.

      permalink bookmark