West Hill Neighborhood group plans annual meeting, awards
|Fourteen Akron Public Schools’ high school students participated in this year’s Arts LIFT public art project, which transformed the exterior wall at Angel Falls Coffee Co. into a work of art with University of Akron art students. This project earned the Arts LIFT program the West Hill Neighborhood Organization’s Community Beautification Award.|
|Photo: Kathleen Folkerth|
The grassroots organization each year recognizes those West Hill/Highland Square residents and businesses that have demonstrated outstanding community service in the area of housing, with an emphasis on improvement of properties in a special way.
The organization also will present Special Recognition Awards and certificates for exceptional efforts in the areas of community involvement and engagement.
The Annual Meeting is open to the public and will be held at the Balch Street Community Center, 220 S. Balch St., beginning at 5:30 p.m. with a meet-and-greet, followed by the meeting from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Light food and refreshments will be served, and in addition to the presentation of awards, the meeting will include a brief overview of the organization and accomplishments this year, along with plans for projects next year.
WHNO is launching a program that compensates community leaders. Details will be available at the meeting.
There also will be a raffle for a WHNO Don Drumm replica poster of the West Hill flag design and a Don Drumm West Hill flag. Proceeds will benefit the West Hill community and further the WHNO mission of improving and enhancing the quality of life in the West Hill area, according to WHNO officials.
The Housing Award winners are:
- Best of the Best Award — Don Drumm (for his design and gift of the West Hill flag);
- Best Business Award — Scott Sella and Every Blooming Thing (for community involvement and participation);
- Humanitarian Award — Bridget Flannagan and Damon Jones, 126 Marvin Ave. (for creating a community garden that is open to the public);
- Best Secret Garden — Judith Ann Casey, 63 Corson Ave.;
- Co-op Community Project — Glendale Community Garden/Glendale Eco District Group
- Dirty Little Secret Award — Joan Colbert/artistic design for a community project;
- Community Beautification Award — Arts LIFT/mural created for Angel Falls Co.;
- Wizard of Oz Award — Quin Aw (for behind-the-scenes work to engage community); and
- Best Porch and Outside Restoration — Brian and Melissa Gura, 83 Marvin Ave.
For more information about this event, contact Jane Startzman at email@example.com.
More Real Estate News
Calendar of Events
- “Godzilla” - 10/23/2014
- Campfire: Northern Cheyenne Indians - 10/23/2014
- GriefCare Place - 10/23/2014
- The Tubes - 10/24/2014
- Tales for Tots - 10/24/2014