West Side Real Estate News & Notes
Fiscal Office issues third billing for delinquent taxes
DOWNTOWN AKRON — Property tax bills have been mailed to owners of properties that have not yet paid their real estate taxes, officials at the Summit County Fiscal Office said.
This third billing was sent out as a courtesy, according to Summit County Fiscal Officer Kristen Scalise. The closing date for payment is Nov. 27. Failure to pay by that date may result in the office publishing the taxpayer’s name in a newspaper publication, as required by law.
On Dec. 2, statutory interest will be charged against any unpaid taxes. If a property owner’s mortgage lender or someone else is responsible for a real estate tax payment, the owner must contact them and forward the tax bill to them. Ohio law states it is the taxpayer’s responsibility to obtain and pay their tax bill on time.
Payments may be made in several ways:
- in person at the Fiscal Office, Treasurer Division, on the third floor of the Ohio Building, 175 S. Main St., from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Mondays through Fridays;
- mailed to the above address (ZIP code 44308) with a U.S. postmark by Nov. 27;
- online or by phone with a credit card or e-check at www.fiscaloffice.summitoh.net. Payments are processed by Official Payments Corp., which charges a service fee of 2.5 percent of the total on Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover transactions; $3.95 on Visa Debit transactions; and $2 for an electronic check payment; or
- in-person cash payments through MoneyGram at 35,000 locations nationwide. MoneyGram payments are processed through Official Payments Corp., which charges a nominal service fee and provides guaranteed same-day transactions. To locate a MoneyGram center, go to the Fiscal Office website or call 1-800-MoneyGram.
Scalise said third billing payments cannot be paid at a bank.
The office also asks that taxpayers with address changes send a written notice or email to email@example.com as to where future tax bills should be mailed.
The Fiscal Office offers plans to assist in the payment of delinquent taxes. For more information, call 330-643-2600.
Kathleen Folkerth contributed to this report.
More Real Estate News
Calendar of Events
- Show and Tell Me a Story: for ages 1-3 - 7/2/2015
- Mudpies Clay Class: for parents and children ages 3-5 - 7/2/2015
- Stroller Hike: parents and children up to age 7 - 7/2/2015
- “Yankee Doodle Dandy” - 7/2/2015
- Amazing Circles - 7/2/2015