HBA holds Installation and Awards Banquet
|HBA immediate Past-President Todd Ederer, at right, awards Tony Crasi, also an HBA past-president, with the HBA’s Special Recognition Award. Crasi, of The Crasi Co., is only the sixth HBA member in its 70-year history to be elected Ohio Home Builders president.|
|Helen Scott, the Home Builders Association (HBA) serving Portage and Summit Counties’ first female president in 1984, installed her grandson Scott Strayer as the 71st president of the HBA. Strayer also was named the HBA’s Builder of the Year for the second consecutive year|
|Photos courtesy of Majestic Imaging Ltd.|
Installed as the HBA’s 71st president was Scott Strayer, of Helen Scott Custom Builders, of Clinton.
Strayer’s grandmother was the association’s first female president in 1984 and the evening’s installing officer, according to HBA officials.
Strayer also won the Builder of the Year award for an unprecedented back-to-back win. The award has been given annually since 1971 and is voted on twice by all HBA members. First, they vote for the overall best builder. Then the top five vote-getters go on a final ballot, and the membership is asked to vote from one through five, with each vote weighted. The criteria are a high level of customer satisfaction and strong business practices as related to trade and supplier relations.
Other senior officers and Board members for 2014 who were installed are: Vice President Julie Oliver, of the Testa Cos., Cuyahoga Falls; Secretary-Treasurer Peter Paino, of Paino Building Corp., Kent; Past-President Todd Ederer, of Ederer Construction, Akron; and trustees Richard Bancroft, of Miller Bancroft Development; Julie Brandle, of Metis Construction; Bob Doherty, of Wolff Brothers; Eric Goff, of Goff Builders; Jacob Grimm, of Brothers Grimm Landscaping; Tim Harp, of Naragon Snow Removal; Pam Keenan, of Kingdom Title; Bill Kremer, of Kremer Realty; Fred Langguth, of Graves Lumber; John Toomey, of Point View Development; John McCarty, of Dutch Heritage Homes; Brian Miller, of Stoneworks; Steve Miller, of Rembrandt Homes; Ric SirLouis, of Home Sweet Homes; Jeff Tucker, of Tucker Building and Design; Elaine Tuttle, of Andersen Windows and Doors; Andrea Hyatt, of Revere Title; and Dave Williams, of Williams, Welser, Kratkowksi and Cann.
In addition, the HBA presented the following awards during the banquet:
- Associate Tradesman of the Year: This award is presented to the tradesman who has contributed in terms of manpower and finances to the HBA and who operates his or her business in a reputable, professional manner. The winner was Adam Bey, of Handle and Sons Elevators and Lifts.
- Associate Supplier of the Year: The award goes to a supplier member who exhibits the same traits as the Tradesman Award. This year’s winner was Brian Miller, of Stoneworks.
- Committee of the Year: Hyatt won this award for her chairing of the HBA Fun(d) Night. She put new life into it with some new ideas and activities, according to HBA officials.
- Greg Seib Spirit Award: This is given to a member who exhibits the commitment, enthusiasm and attitude that resulted in participation and an overall belief in the HBA’s mission. The winner was Harp.
- Rookie of the Year: This award is tabulated using attendance records to verify a new member’s participation. The winner for 2013 was one-year member Shirl Matz, of Certified Payroll Services.
- President’s Award: This is given at the sole discretion of the current HBA president, and this year it went to Jeff Naragon, of Naragon Irrigation. Naragon has been the HBA’s only chairman of its highly successful Home and Flower Show held at the John S. Knight Center every February.
- HBA’s Special Recognition Award: This is given only when the HBA Board decides someone has earned it. This year the award was given to HBA Past-President Tony Crasi, of The Crasi Co. in Cuyahoga Falls, who is only the sixth HBA member in its 70-year history to be elected Ohio Home Builders president.
More Real Estate News
Calendar of Events
- History Hike - 11/28/2014
- After Thanksgiving Hike - 11/28/2014
- Brent Kirby and His Luck with Rebecca Wohlever - 11/28/2014
- Akron Metro Parks Hiking Club - 11/28/2014
- A New Adventure - 11/29/2014