West Side Real Estate News & Notes
Cuyahoga Falls offers tips for electric peak shaving
CUYAHOGA FALLS — On June 18, the area power system was expected to experience higher loads. The Cuyahoga Falls Electric Department asked customers to reduce load between 2 and 7 p.m. that day to help reduce charges on their bills.
Cuyahoga Falls Electric gets billed capacity and transmission charges based on the city’s peak usage the previous year. The peak usage amount is set by the city’s usage during the five days and hours when the transmission system was at its peak for the year. Part of the city’s power cost is rolled along to the customers.
According to city officials, customers might not know they don’t have to use less electricity during the whole day to help save money on their bills — just moving the use of power from the peak time to later in the day during days when it is requested will help make a difference.
City officials offer customers the following tips for helping use electricity efficiently during hours covered by an alert:
- Set thermostats at the highest comfortable setting.
- If you’re leaving for the day, set the thermostat higher but don’t turn the system off unless the home will be unoccupied by family members or pets for several days.
- Turn off lights that are not needed.
- Make sure drapes and furniture are not blocking air registers or returns.
- Minimize hot water use to reduce heat and humidity in the house.
- For cooking, use a microwave oven or counter-top appliances instead of the stove.
- Close blinds, shades or drapes during the hottest part of the day. This helps prevent the suns rays from heating up the house and making the air conditioner work overtime.
- Use ceiling fans and portable fans to keep air moving.
- Postpone using dishwashers, washing machines, dryers and other major appliances until after 7 p.m.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Real Estate News
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014