Revere boys tennis team off to ‘very strong’ start
BATH — According to head coach Paul Fisher, the Revere boys tennis team’s realistic goal for this season is “to capture the Suburban League title this year.”
Last year, Revere finished with a 10-8 overall record and a 6-1 mark in the Suburban League.
“We came in second in the Suburban League behind Copley,” Fisher said. “We had two players qualify for state — Peter Harris and Frank Jin in Division I doubles. We had two varsity players graduate from last year’s team.”
This year, the team is on pace to achieve an even more successful season. Through April 20, Revere was out to an 8-2 start, including a perfect 5-0 record in the Suburban League. And, as another positive for the team, Revere already has claimed a win over last year’s Suburban League champions.
“We defeated Copley 3-2 on April 4,” Fisher said.
According to the coach, the top of Revere’s lineup has been “very strong” this season.
“Peter Harris at first singles has played really well,” he said. “Noah Hendrickson at second singles and George Michalos and Brian Carano at first doubles are all undefeated to start this year (10-0).”
One of Revere’s biggest strengths this year, Fisher said, is the team’s experience.
“We have four regulars who are seniors, two juniors, one sophomore and one freshman playing varsity,” he stated.
The team’s four seniors this year — with comments on each by the coach — are as follows:
• “Peter Harris is one of our captains. He leads our team on and off the courts. He is playing a lot of great players this year at first singles and is rising to the occasion.”
• “George Michalos is playing first doubles for the third straight year. He won the Suburban League tournament last year with Brian Carano.”
• “Daniel Li is playing second doubles and third singles for us. He is a versatile player and is a great student, as well.”
• “Leon Zhang is playing second doubles this year. He has really improved this year and has become a good contributor to the team.”
In addition, Fisher said, a pair of juniors are playing key roles for the Revere boys tennis team this season.
“Brian Carano is playing first doubles again this year with George Michalos. They work really well together and are looking to continue their success as a team,” the coach said. “And Frank Jin has been playing third singles and second doubles. He is one of our captains and has been an important part of the team.”
Also making a major contribution this year is sophomore Hendrickson.
“He has been a great addition to the team and the school this year,” the coach said. “He has a really bright future.”
Fisher is in his third year as the head coach of the Revere boys tennis team. Kathy Shisler is the team’s junior varsity coach and Chris Harris is the varsity assistant coach.
More Sports News
- WABL U10 team wins championship
- Copley tennis team places second at OTCA tourney
- Woodridge boys track team wins 2013 league title
- STVM boys track team takes home Division II state title
- West Side Scoreboard
- Green boys tennis team finishes season strong in sectionals
- South Side Scoreboard
- Injuries helped derail season for Coventry baseball team
Calendar of Events
- Classic Car Cruise-In - 6/18/2013
- Get Your Game On - 6/18/2013
- “50 Shades: The Musical” - 6/18/2013
- “Jack Reacher” - 6/19/2013
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 6/19/2013