10th Akron Marathon breaks records
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
South Broadway in Downtown Akron was filled with runners at the start of the marathon. Shown at right top is a sea of runners as they run from the starting line.
According to marathon officials, Richard Kessio, of Toledo, shown at left top, was the overall winner for the men with a time of 2:18:51. Shanna Ailes Istnick, of Kent, shown at left bottom, was the overall winner for the women with a time of 2:55:10.
Shown at right bottom is Cuyahoga Falls resident Jen Stewart getting “five” from a fan during the marathon.
In addition, approximately 1,880 children and parents participated in the Kids Fun Run for those ages 14 and younger.
Throughout the 26-mile route, which winds through the city of Akron, spectators cheered on runners, who were entertained by local performers.
For complete results, go to the website www.akronmarathon.org.
— By Kathleen Collins
More Sports News
- Hoban continues postseason with win over Coventry
- Copley girls basketball team ready for playoff run
- CVCA hockey turnaround includes school’s first-ever Baron Cup
- Sixth annual Battle of the Badges to benefit Falls Cancer Club
- Hoban defeats Coventry in sectional semifinal
- Manchester boys basketball hoping win streak continues
- Springfield boys bowling team targeting return to state tourney
Calendar of Events
- Wine and Canvas Night - 2/24/2017
- Men’s Choral Festival Closing Concert - 2/24/2017
- Tai Chi Chuan and San Da Self Defense - 2/24/2017
- Ballroom Nights - 2/24/2017
- Tales for Tots: ages 3-6 - 2/24/2017