Structure will be key for Green boys basketball team
GREEN — Green boys basketball head coach Mark Kinsley said his No. 1 goal this season is to limit the number of turnovers made by his team.
“We will be a much more structured team than we have been in the past,” he said. “We must be a team that executes in the half court to make sure we get quality shots each possession. We need to limit turnovers to make sure that our players get quality shots each possession. We will be a man-to-man defensive team like we have been in the past. For us to beat good teams, we must be very good defensively and win the rebounding totals.”
According to Kinsley, the team’s strength this season will be its “size and post play.”
“We must be a team that plays inside out,” he stated. “We have good three-point shooters who will benefit from our inside play.”
Last season, Green finished with a 15-9 overall record and a 10-4 mark in the Suburban League.
“We finished second in the Suburban League and finished as runner-up in the district,” the coach said. “We lost to Warren Harding in the district championship game, 71-69, in overtime.”
This year’s team features seven returning lettermen, but Kinsley acknowledged the team lost some players to graduation following the 2011-12 season who will be difficult to replace.
“We lost three very good players last year,” he said. “They were three of our top four scorers and our leading rebounder. Two of the seniors were three-year starters.”
Kinsley said he will be looking to his senior class to step up this season to fill the void. This year’s seniors (with comments on each by the coach) are:
• Mazen Hasan: “[He is a] point guard. He will be slow coming back from a football injury.”
• Dan Fanelly: “He is a returning starter. We need him to be our leader this year. We will look at Dan to score and rebound for us.”
• Josh Pritchard: “A returning letterman, we need him to give us strong inside play. He is a good three-point shooter.”
• Eddie Janini: “Another returning letterman, Eddie will give us another outside threat, and he is a very good defender.”
Other key players for the team this season include a trio of returning lettermen: juniors Nick Reale and Carson Corle, and sophomore Austin Marciniak.
“Nick will play point for us this year,” Kinsley said. “Carson will give us post play, depth and great energy in his play. And Austin will give us an excellent outside threat.”
According to the coach, the team’s other notable players include sophomore Kenton Keeslar and juniors Blake Suponcic, Landon Holl, Griffen Pine, Casey Perch and Dan Pollock.
Green will open its season at home against Stow High School Nov. 30.
This is Kinsley’s 15th year as the head coach at Green. His assistants are Todd Taylor, Dan Harlan and Bill Bridenthal.
More Sports News
Calendar of Events
- Yoga and Mimosa; Yoga and Wine - 9/26/2016
- Kindle Fire Q&A - 9/26/2016
- Nothing Highbrow About Shakespeare - 9/26/2016
- Halloween Wreath - 9/27/2016
- Disaster Preparedness: Are You Ready - 9/27/2016