Area high school wrestlers compete at state
|St. Vincent-St. Mary High School junior Aaron Adkins, of Copley, won the 182-pound championship at the State Wrestling Tournament March 2.|
|Photo courtesy of Patty Burdon|
The following is a rundown of the top placers, according to results by the Ohio High School Athletic Association, in the West Side Leader’s coverage area. For complete results, visit www.ohsaa.org.
Highland High School’s Adam Kluk placed third in the 195-pound weight class.
STVM sent six wrestlers to state, with five placing in the top seven. A first-place championship by Aaron Adkins in the 182-pound weight class helped the team finish third overall. Adkins defeated Revere’s Stephen Suglio, who took home the second-place trophy.
Winning second-place titles for STVM were Mike Rix (126 pounds) and Ryan Skonieczny (138 pounds). The Irish’s Garret Carter (120 pounds) and Drek Brumley (285 pounds) placed seventh.
CVCA followed STVM with fourth after seven of the eight wrestlers the team sent to state finished in the top eight.
Winning his fourth individual state championship title was Royal Nathan Tomasello in the 120-pound weight class. The top placers for CVCA were: Josh Decatur (126 pounds), fifth; Ryan Bennett (113 pounds) and Jeff Hojnacki (145 pounds), sixth; Andy Dobben (132 pounds), seventh; and Tyler Maclellan (170 pounds) and Nick Havener (195 pounds), eighth.
For Walsh, Kade Kowalski (132 pounds) placed fourth and Alex Mackall (106 pounds) placed seventh.
Norton’s Sean Rutherford (220 pounds) placed third.
More Sports News
- Hoban football team looking to defend state title
- Woodridge football ends successful season with league title
- Copley Athletic Hall of Fame’s Class of 2016 to be honored
- Combined St. Hilary, St. Joseph football team wins award
- Green boys swim team targeting return visit to state
- Schrop students run for fun
Calendar of Events
- Gardening Through the Year: Wreath Making - 12/4/2016
- ”Nutcracker” - 12/4/2016
- University of Akron Choirs: ‘Tis the Season - 12/4/2016
- Dixieland Jazz Concert - 12/4/2016
- Crafty Mart Presents Cottage Mart - 12/4/2016