Buchtel youth wrestling team wins third at state
|Photo courtesy of Richard Decatur|
The team finished in third place and capped off this year’s season with a dual meet record of 24-1.
The Griffins won the West Branch Tournament, the Norton Tournament and the Buchtel Tournament and finished second in the Perry Elite Tournament.
Twin brothers Jacob and Jordan Decatur finished in first place in the tournament, as did Matthew Pugh (132-pound weight class).
Jacob Decatur (70 pounds) won his fourth state title and Jordan (76 pounds) won his fifth state title, according to team officials. Jordan Decatur’s state title tied the league record for the most individual state titles, according to team officials. The Decatur brothers’ combined nine state titles set a new record for the most state titles won by two brothers in the 34-year history of the league, according to team officials.
Buchtel’s George Rozier (100 pounds) placed second, M’Lique Brown (175 pounds) finished third and Kyle Sanders (67 pounds) finished sixth.
Shown above, from left, are: Johnny Pugh, Brown, Trenton Pugh, Jacob Decatur, Matthew Pugh, Gha’Vaughn Poole, Sanders, Rozier and Jordan Decatur.
More Sports News
- Area schools compete in annual wrestling tourney
- Coach impressed with improvement shown by Revere swim teams
- Undefeated Copley boys team wins division
- Elms basketball team out to best start in three years
- Copley girls soccer team ends perfect season
- Green boys bowling team aiming for more postseason success
- Coventry boys looking to defend hoops title
- Area schools compete in 30th annual wrestling tournament
Calendar of Events
- “Reasons to Be Happy” - 1/24/2017
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 1/25/2017
- Tuesday Musical: Imani Winds - 1/25/2017
- Full Circle Storytelling - 1/25/2017
- CrOoKeD - 1/25/2017