Area wrestlers compete at state
CVCA, STVM wrestlers win titles
|St. Vincent-St. Mary High School junior Aaron Adkins won the 182-pound championship at the State Wrestling Tournament March 2.|
|Photo courtesy of Patty Burdon|
The following is a rundown of the top placers, according to results by the Ohio High School Athletic Association, in the South Side News Leader’s coverage area. For complete results, visit www.ohsaa.org.
STVM sent six wrestlers to state, with five placing in the top seven. A first-place championship by Aaron Adkins in the 182-pound weight class helped the team finish third overall.
Winning second-place titles for STVM were Mike Rix (126 pounds) and Ryan Skonieczny (138 pounds). The Irish’s Garret Carter (120 pounds) and Drek Brumley (285 pounds) placed seventh.
CVCA followed STVM with fourth place after seven of the eight wrestlers the team sent to state finished in the top eight.
Winning his fourth individual state championship title was Royal Nathan Tomasello in the 120-pound weight class. The top placers for CVCA were: Josh Decatur (126 pounds), fifth; Ryan Bennett (113 pounds) and Jeff Hojnacki (145 pounds), sixth; Andy Dobben (132 pounds), seventh; and Tyler Maclellan (170 pounds) and Nick Havener (195 pounds), eighth.
For Walsh, Kade Kowalski (132 pounds) placed fourth and Alex Mackall (106 pounds) placed seventh.
Norton’s Sean Rutherford (220 pounds) placed third.
[For information on how Coventry wrestlers fared at the state meet, see related story below.]
Manchester sent three wrestlers to state, with Joey Bowen (106 pounds) being a top placer with seventh place.
More Sports News
- Runners take part in 14th annual Akron Marathon
- Revere girls soccer coach ‘really pleased’ with team’s results
- OHSAA initiates penalties against Hoban
- Postseason offers new opportunities for Highland girls volleyball team
- Green boys soccer team hitting stride as postseason approaches
- Coventry girls soccer looking for another winning season
Calendar of Events
- Akron-Summit Country Main Library Events - 10/1/2016
- John Gragg and Katie Kopan; John Gragg - 10/1/2016
- Fall Felt Wreath - 10/1/2016
- David Sanborn - 10/1/2016
- Mr. Science - 10/1/2016