UA-Wayne College Warriors win tournament
|Photo courtesy of The University of Akron — Wayne College|
The No. 5 seeded Warriors, coached by Patrick Rufener, had to defeat Ohio State University-Mansfield, Ohio University-Eastern, top-seed Miami University-Middletown and Ohio State University-Newark in succession over two weekends to capture the title, according to team officials.
The first two rounds were played in Newark, and the championship rounds took place in Orrville.
Wayne’s roster included: Jackie Adams (a graduate of East High School), Jacob Blevins (Highland High School), DeVaughn Boddie (Archbishop Hoban High School), Rick Brewer (Green High School), Kimyata Cooper (Kenmore High School), De’Shon Hudson (East High School), Gio Ingersoll (Firestone High School), Anthony Keys (Barberton High School) and Andrew Lowe (Kingsway Christian High School).
Adams, Boddie, Brewer, Hudson and Lowe were starters. Ingersoll and Keys were top reserves. Hudson was named ORC State Tournament Most Valuable Player. The Warriors completed their season 18-16.
More Sports News
- Area schools compete in annual wrestling tourney
- Coach impressed with improvement shown by Revere swim teams
- Undefeated Copley boys team wins division
- Elms basketball team out to best start in three years
- Copley girls soccer team ends perfect season
- Green boys bowling team aiming for more postseason success
- Coventry boys looking to defend hoops title
- Area schools compete in 30th annual wrestling tournament
Calendar of Events
- Play and Stay Friday - 1/20/2017
- 11th Annual Chili Challenge to benefit Akron Children’s Hospital’s Burn Unit - 1/20/2017
- Silly Fridays: Create Your Own Crystal Garden - 1/20/2017
- Homeschoolers: The Power of Poison: ages 11-14 - 1/20/2017
- Puppet Show: Mindy Mouse Finds a Flower - 1/21/2017