Green boys lacrosse coach looking to lay winning foundation
GREEN — According to first-year head coach Ron Meiser, the Green High School boys lacrosse program will be built on the ideals of character and integrity.
“We have three team rules that I heard from multiple successful former coaches: Do what’s right; show you care; and strive for excellence. Our goal is to follow those rules and see where we end up at the end,” he said. “Every athlete on our team has the potential to excel as long as they put the work in. We just focus on getting better every day.”
Last season, the team finished 13-6 overall, with the season ending on a 16-3 playoff loss to St. Ignatius High School.
This year, Green got the season off to a strong start with a 10-3 win over Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy March 28.
“That was a solid team effort,” Meiser said. “We accomplished all of our goals, so it was good.”
Meiser, who said he has been working to improve the team’s fundamentals, called his players “very coachable.”
“They just absorb information,” he said. “They want to learn — they’re excited to learn about the game. They’re a good group of kids. We’re all kind of new to each other, so we’re still getting to know each other, but we’re laying a foundation.”
The coach said he took over a team that is “very young.”
“We only have four seniors,” he said. “With a new coaching staff, there are not really any ‘veterans’ on the team. The atmosphere is new to all of them. The athletes that have stuck it out and are on our roster have embraced the challenges.”
The four seniors this season (with comments on each by the coach) are:
- Andrew Ondracek: “He has great personality and puts forth the necessary effort to achieve his personal, as well as our team, goals. He can lighten the mood of a locker room.”
- Jack Peel: “Jack always has a smile on his face. He is a bigger guy, but he can run at the front of the pack. He has a great attitude and solid stick. I am looking forward to him getting on the field on game day.”
- Joe Conjerti: “He has high character and is a team-first guy. He is vocal and in touch with his teammates, as well as his coaches.”
- Tyler Booth: “Tyler has a great personality. He’s a hard-worker. He runs so fast that you even have to slow him down a bit sometimes.”
On the other end of the experience spectrum, Meiser said he likes what he has seen from the team’s newest members.
“I like the overall personality of our freshmen,” he said. “They do not have that deer-in-headlights look that many young men have at that age.”
Meiser’s coaching staff this season is comprised of Paul Beers, Dean Biscan, Todd Durfee, Travis VonAllmen and Joe McCarthy.
“I am very fortunate to have my best coaching staff I have ever been associated with,” he said. “We are trying to build support and increase the attendance in the stands. [Green Athletic Director] Bruce Johnson and Green High School have been awesome in the support of our program.”
Next up for Green is a road game against Hoover High School today, April 5, at 7 p.m. (with the junior varsity squads playing at 5 p.m.).
More Sports News
Calendar of Events
- Paws and Prayers’ Paws Vegas - 3/6/2015
- Homeschoolers: Green Thumbs - 3/6/2015
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Kickoff Party - 3/6/2015
- Coyotes in Your Parks - 3/6/2015
- Rubber City Beatlefest - 3/6/2015