Metro Parks News
• SUMMIT COUNTY — The new mobile app from Metro Parks, Serving Summit County is now available as a free download from iTunes and Google Play. The app includes the following:
√ GPS-enabled directions, downloadable maps, restroom locations and more for all 14 of the district’s parks and the multipurpose Bike & Hike Trail, Freedom Trail and its sections of the Towpath Trail;
√ brief descriptions of 40 trails, with filters based on difficulty and distance;
√ a calendar of programs and events;
√ click-to-call phone numbers for rangers, the administrative offices, the F.A. Seiberling Nature Realm Visitors Center and seasonal information;
√ locations of birding “hot spots,” landmarks, fishing areas, sled hills and more;
√ information about reservable pavilions and shelters;
√ alerts, news and rules and regulations; and
√ social media links for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.
• SUMMIT COUNTY — Passes are now on sale for Metro Parks, Serving Summit County lakes swimming. Passes offer access to the Lake Area in Munroe Falls Metro Park and the beach at Silver Creek Metro Park May 25 through Aug. 18. Both areas will be open daily from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. during the swim season. Preseason passes for Summit County residents are $25 for adults and teens and $10 for ages 2-12 and seniors 65 and older. The out-of-county rate is $30 for adults and teens and $15 for ages 2-12 and seniors 65 and older. After May 24, season pass rates will increase by $5. Children younger than 2 are always admitted for free. Season passes may be purchased at: the Metro Parks administrative offices, 975 Treaty Line Road in West Akron, Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Munroe Falls Metro Park’s Lake Area, 521 S. River Road, and Silver Creek Metro Park’s Bathhouse, 5000 Hametown Road in Norton, Saturdays and Sundays, May 6 through May 19, from noon to 3 p.m., and each day throughout the season; and online at www.summitmetroparks.org. Daily admission is $4 for all adults and teens and $3 for ages 2-12. For more information, call 330-867-5511.
• SUMMIT COUNTY — Metro Parks, Serving Summit County will present the following free programs:
√ Blooming Buckeye Trail, April 27, 1 p.m., O’Neil Woods Metro Park’s Trail Lot, 2550 Martin Road in Bath. The statewide Buckeye Trail utilizes Metro Parks-managed trails, including the strenuous Deer Run Trail. Participants will celebrate the 2013 Buckeye TrailFest and search for spring wildflowers.
√ Earth Hero: Rachel Carson, April 27, 3 p.m., F.A. Seiberling Nature Realm’s Seneca Deck, 1828 Smith Road in West Akron. Participants will hike the Cherry Lane and Fernwood trails and learn how Rachel Carson positively impacted the natural world.
√ Bluebell Valley, April 28, 2 p.m., Everett Road Covered Bridge, 2370 Everett Road in Peninsula. Participants will take a strenuous hike to see bluebells and other wildflowers.
√ Meet Cheeks, May 1, 6 to 8 p.m., Gorge Metro Park, 1160 Front St. in Cuyahoga Falls. Guests are invited to meet Cheeks the chipmunk before hiking on their own to earn Spree for All credit on a short, flat and easy section of the Gorge Trail. [For more on the Spree for All, see Page 1.]
√ Homeschoolers: Fishing, May 3, 1 p.m., Furnace Run Metro Park’s Brushwood Area, 4955 Townsend Road in Richfield. Homeschoolers age 7 and older will learn the basics of fishing. Poles, bait and tackle will be provided. No students will be allowed without an adult companion. Registration is required.
For more information, visit www.summitmetroparks.org or call 330-865-8065. Call to register.
More Sports News
- Summit Metro Parks’ Spree For All beginning May 1
- Medina gymnasts place at meet
- Trip to Ireland paying off for Highland rugby team
- Revere boys tennis coach pleased with team’s progress
- Revere sixth-grade girls travel basketball team wins league
- Green softball coach says ‘sky is limit’ for team
- Hitting key for Manchester softball team
Calendar of Events
- University of Akron Choral Concert - 4/28/2017
- Astronomy Club of Akron: Daniel Rothstein on The Four Red Shifts - 4/28/2017
- Bluebell Valley Hike - 4/28/2017
- Rape Crisis Center of Medina & Summit Counties Walk of Heroes - 4/28/2017
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 4/29/2017