Aeros, Roy Hobbs athletes participate in annual ‘Challenger Day’
|Photos courtesy of Rob Giffen, Roy Hobbs Baseball|
According to Aeros officials, the day marked the 15th year of the “Challenger Day,” which started with the Aeros and Canal Park in 1999.
“Challenger Day” athletes got a chance to play a game on Canal Park’s field complete with the video board and public address announcements. The current roster of Akron Aeros players and coaches, as well as the team’s front office staff, helped the athletes run the bases and field grounders, all while cheering and encouraging them, according to Aeros officials. Following the game, players signed autographs and took a team picture with the athletes.
Shown at right is infielder Ronny Rodriguez helping an athlete bat.
According to Aeros officials, Challenger athletes ranged in age from 7 to 25. Several local area Challenger leagues brought players, including those from Barberton, Tallmadge, Cuyahoga Falls, Hudson, Canton, Medina and Tuscarawas County.
More Sports News
- Highland athletes sign letters of intent
- Firestone boys basketball team looking for return to form
- Revere soccer team ends season as finalists
- Buchtel girls basketball program ‘on the right track’
- Green boys basketball team powered by strong senior class
- New Springfield girls basketball coach building program
- Winter activities abundant in Summit Metro Parks
Calendar of Events
- History Hike - 11/28/2014
- After Thanksgiving Hike - 11/28/2014
- Brent Kirby and His Luck with Rebecca Wohlever - 11/28/2014
- Akron Metro Parks Hiking Club - 11/28/2014
- A New Adventure - 11/29/2014