Aeros, Roy Hobbs athletes participate in annual ‘Challenger Day’
|Photos courtesy of Rob Giffen, Roy Hobbs Baseball|
According to Aeros officials, the day marked the 15th year of the “Challenger Day,” which started with the Aeros and Canal Park in 1999.
“Challenger Day” athletes got a chance to play a game on Canal Park’s field complete with the video board and public address announcements. The current roster of Akron Aeros players and coaches, as well as the team’s front office staff, helped the athletes run the bases and field grounders, all while cheering and encouraging them, according to Aeros officials. Following the game, players signed autographs and took a team picture with the athletes.
Shown at right is infielder Ronny Rodriguez helping an athlete bat.
According to Aeros officials, Challenger athletes ranged in age from 7 to 25. Several local area Challenger leagues brought players, including those from Barberton, Tallmadge, Cuyahoga Falls, Hudson, Canton, Medina and Tuscarawas County.
More Sports News
- Hoban ends STVM’s season in regional final
- Copley football team ends season as league champs
- STVM girls cross country team finishes strong at state meet
- West Side Scoreboard
- Copley-Fairlawn youth football team regular season champs
- Green football coach optimistic about team’s returning core
- Green cross country teams make mark in Federal League debut
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- American Sewing Guild Fairlawn Group - 12/1/2015
- Boy=Girl - 12/2/2015
- Handmade Gifts for the Holidays: ages 3-6 - 12/2/2015
- Mannheim Steamroller - 12/3/2015
- Nature Stories: ages 18 months-3 years - 12/3/2015