Aeros, Roy Hobbs athletes participate in annual ‘Challenger Day’
|Photos courtesy of Rob Giffen, Roy Hobbs Baseball|
According to Aeros officials, the day marked the 15th year of the “Challenger Day,” which started with the Aeros and Canal Park in 1999.
“Challenger Day” athletes got a chance to play a game on Canal Park’s field complete with the video board and public address announcements. The current roster of Akron Aeros players and coaches, as well as the team’s front office staff, helped the athletes run the bases and field grounders, all while cheering and encouraging them, according to Aeros officials. Following the game, players signed autographs and took a team picture with the athletes.
Shown at right is infielder Ronny Rodriguez helping an athlete bat.
According to Aeros officials, Challenger athletes ranged in age from 7 to 25. Several local area Challenger leagues brought players, including those from Barberton, Tallmadge, Cuyahoga Falls, Hudson, Canton, Medina and Tuscarawas County.
More Sports News
- Area residents named to local baseball hall of fame
- Copley-Fairlawn Kiwanis Club hosting pregame dinner
- Copley girls soccer team looking to finish season strong
- Firestone girls soccer team showing weekly improvement
- Norton team places first in U14 division
- West Side Scoreboard
- Green girls volleyball team improving through defense
- Coventry girls volleyball team aiming for winning record
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- PAWS for Reading with service dog Molly - 10/1/2014
- The Wiggles - 10/1/2014
- Cajun Dinner and Concert with Steve Riley & the Mamou Playboys - 10/1/2014
- “Shane” - 10/2/2014
- Putting Your Garden to Bed - 10/2/2014