West Side Leader, Akron Aeros introducing Journalism Day for students
DOWNTOWN AKRON — The West Side Leader and the Akron Aeros are presenting an opportunity for young, aspiring journalists to see what it’s like to cover a professional baseball team for a day.
Starting every Sunday from June 23 through Aug. 25, selected students in fourth through 11th grades will have an opportunity to take part in the West Side Leader’s Journalism Days at Canal Park.
One student will be selected each week. Participants and a parent will be provided lunch and personalized credentials to allow them to get a first-hand look at what goes on behind the scenes in the press box during an Aeros game. Students who are selected will have the opportunity to sit with beat reporters in the press box and write their own story that will run in the West Side Leader.
Before the game, students will be able to take in batting practice from the Aeros’ dugout, and following the game, participants will get to travel down into the Aeros’ clubhouse and conduct their own interviews with manager Edwin Rodriguez and an Aeros player.
To apply for the West Side Leader’s Journalism Days, candidates need to write in 50 words or less why they want to be a reporter for a day and email it to email@example.com, along with their names, address and phone numbers. Winners will be notified three to seven days before the game date. For more information, call 800-97-AEROS or visit www.akronaeros.com.
More Sports News
- Annual Fall Hiking Spree kicking off with preview event Aug. 30
- Project REBUILD accepts donation from Huth Charitable Foundation
- Copley team wins tournament
- Experienced CVCA girls tennis team facing tough schedule
- Cuyahoga Falls Little League team earns third district title
- Manchester football team looking for young players to step up
Calendar of Events
- Monarch Butterfly Tagging - 9/2/2015
- Blue Lunch - 9/2/2015
- Gardening Into Fall - 9/2/2015
- Taste It and Make It Food Preparation Series - 9/3/2015
- “The Divergent Series: Insurgent” - 9/3/2015