West Side Leader, Akron Aeros introducing Journalism Day for students
DOWNTOWN AKRON — The West Side Leader and the Akron Aeros are presenting an opportunity for young, aspiring journalists to see what it’s like to cover a professional baseball team for a day.
Starting every Sunday from June 23 through Aug. 25, selected students in fourth through 11th grades will have an opportunity to take part in the West Side Leader’s Journalism Days at Canal Park.
One student will be selected each week. Participants and a parent will be provided lunch and personalized credentials to allow them to get a first-hand look at what goes on behind the scenes in the press box during an Aeros game. Students who are selected will have the opportunity to sit with beat reporters in the press box and write their own story that will run in the West Side Leader.
Before the game, students will be able to take in batting practice from the Aeros’ dugout, and following the game, participants will get to travel down into the Aeros’ clubhouse and conduct their own interviews with manager Edwin Rodriguez and an Aeros player.
To apply for the West Side Leader’s Journalism Days, candidates need to write in 50 words or less why they want to be a reporter for a day and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with their names, address and phone numbers. Winners will be notified three to seven days before the game date. For more information, call 800-97-AEROS or visit www.akronaeros.com.
More Sports News
- STVM wins second consecutive state football championship
- Copley Athletic Hall of Fame inducting new members
- Area runners take cold in stride for Portage Lakes event
- Copley wrestling team keyed by ‘youth and athleticism’ this season
- West Side Scoreboard
- Buchtel alumni bringing back interclass run
- Norton girls soccer team wins championship
Calendar of Events
- Romp with Rudolph - 12/12/2013
- “Grown Ups 2” - 12/12/2013
- Boy=Girl - 12/13/2013
- Ohio City Singers - 12/13/2013
- Christmas Tree Lighting - 12/13/2013