CVNP receives funds for trail operation, maintenance
|Photo courtesy of National Park Service, Denny Reiser|
The National Park Service received $39,000 in the first disbursement from the TRAILS FOREVER Legacy Fund of the $1 million raised to date, according to CVNP officials. These funds were used to hire a seasonal volunteer trails coordinator, which is needed for the coordination of the hundreds of volunteers who help manage park trails. The funds also were used for a trailer to store trail supplies and materials; and for participation in a collaborative partner initiative, Code for America, in which an application will be created and used to navigate all the trails in Summit County, according to CVNP officials.
The goal of the TRAILS FOREVER Legacy Fund is to ensure the public will forever have access to a world-class trail system in CVNP, according to CVNP officials. In its capacity as the official fundraising partner for the national park, the Conservancy has engaged the community with a goal of raising a $10 million trails endowment fund by 2016, which is the 100th anniversary of the National Park Service, according to CVNP officials.
Shown above is Cuyahoga Valley Trails Council volunteers and Jeff Pettigrew, NPS volunteer trails coordinator, in front of new trails trailer.
More Sports News
- Area residents take part in Girls on the Run 5K
- Thanks4Giving football game featuring local players
- Deck the Falls runs supporting Cuyahoga Falls Shop With a Cop program
- Walsh girls soccer team claims state championship
- St. Hilary School team receives sportsmanship award
- Revere U11 team wins tournament
- Turkey Trot 5K Run/Walk scheduled for Nov. 27
- Manchester alumnus inducted into M Club
- New run supporting Life Is Good No Matter What foundation
Calendar of Events
- The University of Akron Brass Choir’s “Home for Thanksgiving” - 11/23/2014
- Jerry McNamee book signing - 11/23/2014
- Metro Parks Book Club: “Choosing Wildness” by Claude Arbour - 11/23/2014
- Candlelight Walk - 11/23/2014
- The University of Akron Percussion Ensemble - 11/24/2014