Local semi-pro football team ranked in top 10 nationally
GREEN — In their inaugural season, the Ohio Legends couldn’t be much more successful on the field. Through July 1, the Green-based football team has a 9-0 overall record and is undefeated in the Heartland Football League. In addition, the Legends are ranked in the top 10 nationally.
“We have outscored other teams nationally by over 100 points on the season,” said Tom Jackson, the team’s head coach and majority owner. “We’re ranked in the top 10 in the nation out of approximately 1,200 teams, so we’re pretty happy with what we’ve done. But, of course, we will be looking to improve on that, as well, because there is a big difference between happy with where you are vs. satisfied where you are. You must never be satisfied. Now, we just have to keep improving, since everybody now has their sights set on beating us.”
According to the coach, the Legends have four regular season games left. If the team continues on its winning streak, it could be in contention for a national title, Jackson said.
On the whole, Jackson said, the local community has been “incredibly receptive” to the team.
“We are very grateful for that,” he stated. “Part of it is because we’re putting a good product on the field that is family-friendly, as well as the fact that we are heavy in the community supporting Relay For Life events and other things that are charitable and worthy of our time. We are always willing to do speaking engagements, help in local community activities and help raise funds for charitable or nonprofit organizations.”
One area where Jackson said he would like to see things pick up a bit, however, is in the stands at home games.
“To be honest, attendance has been lighter than expected,” he said. “Having said that, we do have a good following, and we’re new, so we expected it would take time to build. We have some different promotional agencies, as well as our own marketing methodologies, that we will continue to grow and implement new things therein. Most of our lessons this year have come via operational experiences and figuring out how to do business in different and better ways.”
The Legends play their home games at Green High School’s Memorial Stadium, and the next opportunity for the local community to see the team in person will be Aug. 3 at 6 p.m. The team will take on the NEO Predators.
Tickets for Ohio Legends home games are $10 each, and admission is free for those 14 and younger. Tickets can be purchased at the Green YMCA, located at 3800 Massillon Road, or at Legends Sports Pub and Grille, located at 1840 Town Park Blvd. in Green.
For a team schedule and additional information about the Ohio Legends, go to www.ohiolegendsfootball.com.
More Sports News
- Area residents take part in Girls on the Run 5K
- Thanks4Giving football game featuring local players
- Deck the Falls runs supporting Cuyahoga Falls Shop With a Cop program
- Walsh girls soccer team claims state championship
- St. Hilary School team receives sportsmanship award
- Revere U11 team wins tournament
- Turkey Trot 5K Run/Walk scheduled for Nov. 27
- Manchester alumnus inducted into M Club
- New run supporting Life Is Good No Matter What foundation
Calendar of Events
- The University of Akron Brass Choir’s “Home for Thanksgiving” - 11/23/2014
- Jerry McNamee book signing - 11/23/2014
- Metro Parks Book Club: “Choosing Wildness” by Claude Arbour - 11/23/2014
- Candlelight Walk - 11/23/2014
- The University of Akron Percussion Ensemble - 11/24/2014