ODNR offering free boat safety inspections
GREATER AKRON — The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) is offering free boat safety inspections through September at public boat launch ramps and during special events statewide. The agency also released a new promotional video about safety boating.
“Start the boating season safe,” said Rodger Norcross, chief of the ODNR Division of Watercraft. “We encourage boaters to take advantage of a free safety inspection to ensure they have all the necessary boating safety equipment on board and it is in working order.”
ODNR Division of Watercraft officers provide written courtesy inspections that allow boat owners to make recommended improvements to their boating safety equipment. According to ODNR officials, these free inspections typically examine the condition of fire extinguishers, navigational lights, horns and distress signals to ensure they are in working order. Officers also check to make sure the proper type, size and number of life jackets are aboard each boat as required by law.
According to ODNR officials, 11 people who died in boating accidents in Ohio in 2012 were not wearing their life jackets.
Inspections are set to take place at the following local locations:
- Portage Lakes in New Franklin July 6, 7 and 14; Aug. 11 and 24; and Sept. 1, 2, 22 and 29 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Springfield Lake in Lakemore July 13, Aug. 10 and 25, and Sept. 21 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.; and
For more details, visit watercraft.ohiodnr.gov/events.
Additional information also is available online regarding required boating safety equipment, education programs, boating rules and public launch ramps at watercraft.ohiodnr.gov and by calling 877-4BOATER.
Maria Lindsay contributed to this report.
More Sports News
- Swim meet honors local swimmer
- West Side Scoreboard
- Copley girls swim team sets ‘lofty goals’ this season
- ‘Speed and quickness’ key for Copley boys basketball team
- Metro Parks recognizes 50-year Fall Hiking Spree hikers
- Copley Cosmos U13 team ends season as champs
- Revere fourth-grade cheer team places first at tournament
- New coach changing culture of Coventry girls basketball team
- Winning record goal for Coventry boys bowling team
- South Side Scoreboard
- G.P.A. Turkey Trot raises funds for scholarships
Calendar of Events
- Downtown Akron Art Walk - 12/7/2013
- Island of Misfit Toys - 12/7/2013
- Summit Children’s Choir - 12/7/2013
- Central Akron (Advanced) Toastmasters - 12/7/2013
- “Dear Gabby: The Confessions of an Overachiever” - 12/7/2013