Local youths take part in Derby
No local racers took home the top prize. Summit County racers who competed include: Alexis Sklack (Stock), Ashley Sklack (Rally) and Haley Aull (Masters), of Green; Christian Viering (Stock), of Fairlawn; Freddy Atchison (Rally) and Trinity Kubick (Rally), of Cuyahoga Falls; Emily Harmon (Super Stock), of Silver Lake; Cheyenne Wilt (Rally) and Aaron Rathbun (Rally), of Springfield; and Maria Fahey (Rally), of New Franklin.
Shown at at far right is Viering with a life-size poster of himself.
Atchison is shown above left in his car, at left, racing down the hill.
Taking part in this year’s festivities was Soap Box Derby world champ Fred Mohler, of Indiana, shown at near right, who was this year’s co-parade marshal with the 1934 derby winner.
For more race results, visit www.aasbd.org.
The day before the championship race, July 26, the National Super Kids Classic took place. Local racers included: John Krzysik and Joseph Korane from Hudson, David Slusser from Cuyahoga Falls and David Wilt from Springfield. No local racers placed in the top three.
— By Kathleen Collins
Photos: Krista Galloway
More Sports News
- Hoban defeats STVM in annual matchup
- Akron Marathon concludes inaugural Rubber City Race Series
- Highland girls golf team adds another league title to résumé
- Revere tennis team places second in tournament
- Highland boys golf team looking for more postseason success
- West Side Scoreboard
- Coventry girls tennis coach pleased with improvement
- Manchester girls tennis coach working to build foundation
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- University of Akron Symphonic Band/Concert Band - 10/7/2015
- Criss Angel Presents: The Supernaturalists - 10/7/2015
- Cooking Seminar and Happy Hour - 10/8/2015
- Healthy Strides Hike and Talk - 10/8/2015
- Creative Writing for Homeschoolers: ages 8 to 12 - 10/8/2015