Local youths take part in Derby
No local racers took home the top prize. Summit County racers who competed include: Alexis Sklack (Stock), Ashley Sklack (Rally) and Haley Aull (Masters), of Green; Christian Viering (Stock), of Fairlawn; Freddy Atchison (Rally) and Trinity Kubick (Rally), of Cuyahoga Falls; Emily Harmon (Super Stock), of Silver Lake; Cheyenne Wilt (Rally) and Aaron Rathbun (Rally), of Springfield; and Maria Fahey (Rally), of New Franklin.
Shown at at far right is Viering with a life-size poster of himself.
Atchison is shown above left in his car, at left, racing down the hill.
Taking part in this year’s festivities was Soap Box Derby world champ Fred Mohler, of Indiana, shown at near right, who was this year’s co-parade marshal with the 1934 derby winner.
For more race results, visit www.aasbd.org.
The day before the championship race, July 26, the National Super Kids Classic took place. Local racers included: John Krzysik and Joseph Korane from Hudson, David Slusser from Cuyahoga Falls and David Wilt from Springfield. No local racers placed in the top three.
— By Kathleen Collins
Photos: Krista Galloway
More Sports News
- Area residents named to local baseball hall of fame
- Copley-Fairlawn Kiwanis Club hosting pregame dinner
- Copley girls soccer team looking to finish season strong
- Firestone girls soccer team showing weekly improvement
- Norton team places first in U14 division
- West Side Scoreboard
- Green girls volleyball team improving through defense
- Coventry girls volleyball team aiming for winning record
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- PAWS for Reading with service dog Molly - 10/1/2014
- The Wiggles - 10/1/2014
- Cajun Dinner and Concert with Steve Riley & the Mamou Playboys - 10/1/2014
- “Shane” - 10/2/2014
- Putting Your Garden to Bed - 10/2/2014