Hard work focus of new Revere volleyball coach
BATH — New Revere High School volleyball head coach Jenna Steyer said this year’s squad is “a very different team” from the one that finished with a 12-9 overall record last season.
“A number of girls graduated, and we have some new varsity players, so we are continuing to work on our team chemistry on the court,” she stated. “We’re still getting used to who we’re playing next to. We are working a lot on our serve receive, blocking and defense.”
According to Steyer, this year’s team features “a pretty good mix of young players and veterans,” including a strong class of seniors.
The seniors on this year’s team (with quotes on each player from the coach) are:
- Meredith Ruetty: “She’s a very tough middle hitter with a great serve. She is always challenging her teammates to do better. Meredith is looking to play college ball and hoping to sign soon.”
- Sylvia Beckner: “She’s a great kid to have on the team. She is a competitor and works very hard. She hits the floor and hustles all over the court.”
- Adriana Farian: “She’s a great outside hitter. She uses her hands extremely well on serve receive.”
- Alyssa Fetzer: “Alyssa is always cheering on her teammates and is very encouraging. She’s going to be one of our defensive specialists.”
- Nicole Heckman: “Nicole will be hitting right side for us. She is continuing to improve her blocking every day. She is a very sweet kid and seems to take the younger players under her wing.”
The juniors on this year’s team are led by Stephanie Bierman, Sarah Eley and Ali Boehnlein.
“Stephanie Bierman played varsity last year. Steph is very athletic and jumps higher than anyone else on the team. She is a power hitter and smart volleyball player,” the coach said. “Sarah Eley was a varsity setter last year. Sarah has very good hands and always gets to the second ball. We’re looking for big things from her. Ali Boehnlein will be our other middle hitter. She continues to get better every day. Ali is a very strategic player.”
Steyer said sophomore Chloe Stile will be stepping in as the team’s second setter this season.
“She has great hands and is very dedicated to the game,” the coach said. “She shows so much potential.”
Also expected to play key roles for the team this season are junior defensive specialists Natalie Lewis and Demi Boyazis, junior outside hitter Mandi Fink and freshman right side hitter Viktoria Farian.
“This year’s team is very hard working,” Steyer said. “They’re putting a lot of time, effort and hustle in every day at practice.”
Steyer will be assisted this year by junior varsity coaches Miranda Weimer and Anne Bass.
“We’re looking to continue to improve on the success the program has had in the past,” Steyer said. “Every year, every team’s goal should be to win the league. We’re looking to improve every game so we’re playing our best volleyball at tournament time.”
The Revere volleyball team’s season will get underway Aug. 24 at 1:30 p.m., when they host Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy.
More Sports News
- Copley boys, girls soccer teams win district titles
- Firestone swim marathon kicking off Nov. 1
- Highland volleyball team ends season on strong note
- Copley football team looking to clinch winning season
- West Side Scoreboard
- Copley teams face off in championshipq
- Revere team wins league, tournament titles
- Chippewa Youth Trapshooting Club celebrating 10 years
- Copley travel team ends successful season
- Cleveland Futbol Club U12 team wins third straight state cup title
- Green boys cross country team sending two runners to state
- Green girls cross country team headed to state meet
- Coventry girls soccer team scores successful season
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- Artists Who Teach - 10/31/2014
- “Family Health” Book Sale - 10/31/2014
- Beyond D.A.B.D.A.: Grief Counseling with Children and Adults - 10/31/2014
- The Midtown Men - 10/31/2014
- Creepy Crawlies - 10/31/2014