Aeros’ Aguilar collects 100th RBI
DOWNTOWN AKRON — Pitcher Cody Anderson had a great first home start for the Eastern League’s Class AA Akron Aeros, who defeated the Binghamton Mets 6-2 Aug. 25 at Canal Park.
He was recently called up from Class A Carolina. Anderson struck out three batters and threw 49 strikes in 78 pitches. Anderson also gave up five hits, two runs and he walked three batters.
Aguilar gets 100th RBI
First baseman Jesus Aguilar became the first batter in Aeros’ history to reach 100 RBI’s in a season with a sacrifice fly in the second inning. He passed Will Hodges and Carlos Santana who each had 97 RBI’s in a season.
“It was a reward for his consistency,” said Aeros Manager Edwin Rodriguez. “And for the team, it was important to see it. The whole team was very happy.”
Aguilar also made a diving play in the field during the second inning.
Right-handed pitcher Bryce Stowell came into the game in the fifth inning with two runners on base and no outs. He got out of the inning and gave up no hits, no runs and walked one batter. He struck out his last four batters to get the 6-2 win over the Binghamton Mets. It was the Aeros’ last day game of the 2013 season. The Aeros’ win on Sunday made it the first four-game series the Mets have lost this season.
“Our strength going into the 2014 season is that we have young players,” said Rodriguez. “We have athletic players. They are going to do a very good job and we need to keep developing those players.”
Editor’s note: The South Side News Leader and the Akron Aeros presented an opportunity for young, aspiring journalists to see what it’s like to cover a professional baseball team for a day through Aug. 25. Selected students in fourth through 11th grades had an opportunity to take part in the South Side News Leader’s Journalism Days at Canal Park. For more information, call 800-97-AEROS or visit www.akronaeros.com, or see “South Side News Leader, Akron Aeros introducing Journalism Day for students” in the archives at www.akron.com.
More Sports News
- Walsh reclaims bell with victory over STVM
- Woodridge boys cross country team targeting postseason run
- Woodridge girls cross country team aiming for success
- Westfield Bank sponsors Cuyahoga Falls Little League North Baseball Complex
- West Side Scoreboard
- Springfield cross country celebrating new home course
- Springfield boys cross country coach seeing improvement
- Norton team first in division
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- Highland Book Club: “Wonder” by R.J. Palacio - 9/18/2014
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation Support Group - 9/18/2014
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 9/18/2014
- “The Lady Eve” - 9/18/2014
- Are You Ready for Social Security? - 9/18/2014