Aeros’ Aguilar collects 100th RBI
DOWNTOWN AKRON — Pitcher Cody Anderson had a great first home start for the Eastern League’s Class AA Akron Aeros, who defeated the Binghamton Mets 6-2 Aug. 25 at Canal Park.
He was recently called up from Class A Carolina. Anderson struck out three batters and threw 49 strikes in 78 pitches. Anderson also gave up five hits, two runs and he walked three batters.
Aguilar gets 100th RBI
First baseman Jesus Aguilar became the first batter in Aeros’ history to reach 100 RBI’s in a season with a sacrifice fly in the second inning. He passed Will Hodges and Carlos Santana who each had 97 RBI’s in a season.
“It was a reward for his consistency,” said Aeros Manager Edwin Rodriguez. “And for the team, it was important to see it. The whole team was very happy.”
Aguilar also made a diving play in the field during the second inning.
Right-handed pitcher Bryce Stowell came into the game in the fifth inning with two runners on base and no outs. He got out of the inning and gave up no hits, no runs and walked one batter. He struck out his last four batters to get the 6-2 win over the Binghamton Mets. It was the Aeros’ last day game of the 2013 season. The Aeros’ win on Sunday made it the first four-game series the Mets have lost this season.
“Our strength going into the 2014 season is that we have young players,” said Rodriguez. “We have athletic players. They are going to do a very good job and we need to keep developing those players.”
Editor’s note: The South Side News Leader and the Akron Aeros presented an opportunity for young, aspiring journalists to see what it’s like to cover a professional baseball team for a day through Aug. 25. Selected students in fourth through 11th grades had an opportunity to take part in the South Side News Leader’s Journalism Days at Canal Park. For more information, call 800-97-AEROS or visit www.akronaeros.com, or see “South Side News Leader, Akron Aeros introducing Journalism Day for students” in the archives at www.akron.com.
More Sports News
- Woodridge seeing success in playoffs
- St. Sebastian Booster Club hosts basketball tournament
- Woodridge baseball team earns third consecutive league title
- West Side Scoreboard
- Woodridge boys track ends season with perfect league record
- Copley fourth-grade team wins championship
- Granger Challenge raises over $14,000
- Strong pitching leads Springfield baseball team to wins
- Green softball team earns first-place tie in Suburban League
- New playground unveiled at Uniontown Community Park
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- Day Out With Thomas - 5/24/2015
- Metro Parks Book Club: “The Endangered Species Road Trip” by Cameron MacDonald - 5/24/2015
- Good Old Fashioned Outdoor Fun - 5/24/2015
- Boogie Woogie Books - 5/26/2015
- A New Beginning - 5/27/2015