Thousands take part in Akron Marathon
Marathon events Sept. 28 included the Full Marathon, presented by Time Warner Cable; the Half Marathon, presented by Acme Fresh Market; the Team Relay, presented by Novo Nordisk; and the Kids Fun Run, presented by Akron Children’s Hospital.
The 26-mile route included participants running over the All-America Bridge, shown below.
According to marathon officials, Getachew Asfaw, of Silver Springs, Md., placed first in the men’s full marathon and shattered the course record that was set in 2012 by nearly 3 minutes with a time of 2 hours, 15 minutes and 59 seconds. He is above above in front with his trophy, along with other men’s full marathon placers, back row from left: Richard Kessio, of Toledo, fifth; Tisia Kiplangat, of Rochester, N.Y., fourth; George Towett, of Hebron, Ky., third; and Joseph Mutinda, of Santa Fe, N.M., second.
Shown at right top is Ludmilla Stepanova, of Hebron, Ky., who was the winner in the women’s full marathon with a time of 2:38:18. Other women in the top five included: Hirut Guangul, of New York, N.Y., second place; Shanna Ailes Istnick, of Kent, third; Katie Kay, of Fairview Park, fourth; and Tracy Meder, of Stow, fifth.
Shown at right bottom is Joe Booth, of Akron, who placed first in the full marathon wheelchair division with a time of 3 hours, 46 minutes and 28 seconds.
According to marathon officials, 1,268 relay teams competed, making the Akron Marathon host of the largest marathon relay race in the country. Also, marathon officials reported approximately 2,000 children and parents participated in the Kids Fun Run for those ages 14 and younger.
The starting line was located on South Broadway in Downtown Akron, shown at bottom.
A complete list of race results is available online at www.akronmarathon.org.
— By Kathleen Collin
Photos: Dale Dong
More Sports News
- RubberDucks hold national anthem auditions
- Buchtel boys basketball team looking to get stronger
- Copley team wins Slam Jam championship
- Woodridge boys basketball team reached several goals this season
- Spartan Sparkles program continues to celebrate inclusion
- Springfield boys track team aiming for strong finish in league
- Springfield bowling teams finish strong at state
- St. Francis team wins championship
Calendar of Events
- Family Fishing - 3/29/2017
- Art For the Animals - 3/29/2017
- Pilates - 3/29/2017
- Warbler Warm-Up - 3/29/2017
- Author Talk: Terry Pluto - 3/29/2017