Swim meet honors local swimmer
|Photos courtesy of Robert Vogel|
Brooke McMahan, daughter of Chris McMahan and Kim Hone-McMahan and a 1999 graduate of Green High School, was a member of the Summit Special Olympic Athletic Club for many years before her sudden death in 2003. The swim meet is held in honor of her memory.
Summit County Juvenile Court Judge Linda Teodosio and her husband, Tom Teodosio, a Summit County Common Pleas Court judge, helped kick off the event by administering the Special Olympics oath. Shown above from left, are Tom and Linda Teodosio, Alex McMahan and his parents, Chris McMahan and Kim Hone-McMahan.
According to event officials, the event has become one of the largest events in the state for athletes with special needs. This year, 150 people with disabilities and 180 volunteers from Northeast Ohio attended the meet.
Shown at right top participating in the meet is Bianca Kennedy.
Special Olympian Jason Dolin is shown at right bottom swimming in the pool.
Members of swim teams from UA, as well as Walsh Jesuit, Firestone and Green high schools, were on hand to assist athletes in the water during a swim clinic, which was part of event. In addition to traditional competitive swimming, relays that reflected Brooke’s personality also were held, according to organizers.
— By Kathleen Collins
More Sports News
- Hoban ends STVM’s season in regional final
- Copley football team ends season as league champs
- STVM girls cross country team finishes strong at state meet
- West Side Scoreboard
- Copley-Fairlawn youth football team regular season champs
- Green football coach optimistic about team’s returning core
- Green cross country teams make mark in Federal League debut
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- Ballroom Nights - 11/27/2015
- Black Friday Music Party - 11/27/2015
- Author Fran Wilde - 11/28/2015
- “Nutcracker” - 11/28/2015
- American Indians of Sand Run - 11/28/2015