Swim meet honors local swimmer
|Photos courtesy of Robert Vogel|
Brooke McMahan, daughter of Chris McMahan and Kim Hone-McMahan and a 1999 graduate of Green High School, was a member of the Summit Special Olympic Athletic Club for many years before her sudden death in 2003. The swim meet is held in honor of her memory.
Summit County Juvenile Court Judge Linda Teodosio and her husband, Tom Teodosio, a Summit County Common Pleas Court judge, helped kick off the event by administering the Special Olympics oath. Shown above from left, are Tom and Linda Teodosio, Alex McMahan and his parents, Chris McMahan and Kim Hone-McMahan.
According to event officials, the event has become one of the largest events in the state for athletes with special needs. This year, 150 people with disabilities and 180 volunteers from Northeast Ohio attended the meet.
Shown at right top participating in the meet is Bianca Kennedy.
Special Olympian Jason Dolin is shown at right bottom swimming in the pool.
Members of swim teams from UA, as well as Walsh Jesuit, Firestone and Green high schools, were on hand to assist athletes in the water during a swim clinic, which was part of event. In addition to traditional competitive swimming, relays that reflected Brooke’s personality also were held, according to organizers.
— By Kathleen Collins
More Sports News
- JCC pool opens with a splash
- Revere baseball looking to build on momentum from last season
- First-year coach looking to lead young Firestone baseball team to success
- PowerHouse gymnastics excel
- STVM CYO teams wins tourney
- Copley team declared champs
- Manchester softball team looking for deep postseason run
- Pitching primary strength for Springfield baseball team
Calendar of Events
- University of Akron Symphony Orchestra with Ting-Wei Chang and Mario Buchanan - 3/31/2015
- Cheri Homaee - 3/31/2015
- Bongo Joe and Little Steve-O - 4/1/2015
- Author Talk: Irv Korman - 4/1/2015
- Grass is Gross: Edible Landscaping - 4/2/2015