Swim meet honors local swimmer
|Photos courtesy of Robert Vogel|
Brooke McMahan, daughter of Chris McMahan and Kim Hone-McMahan and a 1999 graduate of Green High School, was a member of the Summit Special Olympic Athletic Club for many years before her sudden death in 2003. The swim meet is held in honor of her memory.
Summit County Juvenile Court Judge Linda Teodosio and her husband, Tom Teodosio, a Summit County Common Pleas Court judge, helped kick off the event by administering the Special Olympics oath. Shown above from left, are Tom and Linda Teodosio, Alex McMahan and his parents, Chris McMahan and Kim Hone-McMahan.
According to event officials, the event has become one of the largest events in the state for athletes with special needs. This year, 150 people with disabilities and 180 volunteers from Northeast Ohio attended the meet.
Shown at right top participating in the meet is Bianca Kennedy.
Special Olympian Jason Dolin is shown at right bottom swimming in the pool.
Members of swim teams from UA, as well as Walsh Jesuit, Firestone and Green high schools, were on hand to assist athletes in the water during a swim clinic, which was part of event. In addition to traditional competitive swimming, relays that reflected Brooke’s personality also were held, according to organizers.
— By Kathleen Collins
More Sports News
- Copley Indians continue winning streak against Norton Panthers
- Thousands expected to take part in Akron Marathon
- Revere girls volleyball team finds winning chemistry
- West Side Scoreboard
- Springfield girls cross country program growing
- Green girls golf squad aiming for ‘lofty goals’
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- Native American Medicine Wheel - 9/21/2014
- Small Flock Poultry and Backyard Guinea Fowl Conference - 9/21/2014
- CVNP House Concert - 9/21/2014
- Story Time - 9/22/2014
- Star Spangled Banner, 1812 Flag and National Anthem with Sharon Myers - 9/23/2014