STVM wins second consecutive state football championship
|Photos: Dale Dong|
The undefeated Fighting Irish (15-0) blew out Trotwood-Madison High School (13-2) Dec. 5 by a score of 24-0 at Massillon Paul Brown Tiger Stadium.
Shown above are STVM team members with their trophy after the win.
STVM’s Evan Cunningham (No. 15), shown at right top at right, kicked a 36-yard field goal in the first quarter to give the Fighting Irish a 3-0 lead.
STVM’s Newman Williams rushed for two touchdowns during the game. Williams (No. 34) is shown at right middle on a touchdown run in the third quarter.
Also scoring for STVM was Vince Lockett, who scored in the fourth quarter with a 1-yard touchdown.
Shown at right bottom is STVM running back Parris Campbell Jr. (No. 21) eluding tackle.
The win marks the seventh state title for the school, according to STVM officials. Other wins came in 1961, 1972, 1981, 1982, 1988 and 2012.
For complete statistics of the game, visit the Ohio High School Athletic Association website at www.ohsaa.org.
— By Kathleen Collins
More Sports News
- Hoban football team looking to defend state title
- Woodridge football ends successful season with league title
- Copley Athletic Hall of Fame’s Class of 2016 to be honored
- Combined St. Hilary, St. Joseph football team wins award
- Green boys swim team targeting return visit to state
- Schrop students run for fun
Calendar of Events
- Owl Prowl - 12/2/2016
- Helen Welch Trio; Jan Rookard and Ray McCall - 12/3/2016
- Glass Fusing: Make a Tiny Bowl - 12/3/2016
- Illusion Factory’s “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” - 12/3/2016
- Mind Your Own Beeswax Workshop - 12/3/2016