STVM wins second consecutive state football championship
|Photos: Dale Dong|
The undefeated Fighting Irish (15-0) blew out Trotwood-Madison High School (13-2) Dec. 5 by a score of 24-0 at Massillon Paul Brown Tiger Stadium.
Shown above are STVM team members with their trophy after the win.
STVM’s Evan Cunningham (No. 15), shown at right top at right, kicked a 36-yard field goal in the first quarter to give the Fighting Irish a 3-0 lead.
STVM’s Newman Williams rushed for two touchdowns during the game. Williams (No. 34) is shown at right middle on a touchdown run in the third quarter.
Also scoring for STVM was Vince Lockett, who scored in the fourth quarter with a 1-yard touchdown.
Shown at right bottom is STVM running back Parris Campbell Jr. (No. 21) eluding tackle.
The win marks the seventh state title for the school, according to STVM officials. Other wins came in 1961, 1972, 1981, 1982, 1988 and 2012.
For complete statistics of the game, visit the Ohio High School Athletic Association website at www.ohsaa.org.
— By Kathleen Collins
More Sports News
- Copley Athletic Hall of Fame class for 2014 to be honored
- West Side Scoreboard
- Hoban boys bowling team looking for strong season
- Copley Cosmos U12C1 team ends season as division champs
- Runners take part in annual Crooked River run
- Freshman class boosting Manchester boys basketball
- Returning starters ready to ignite Coventry girls basketball
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- Steve Cipriano - 12/17/2014
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation Support Group - 12/17/2014
- Akron Symphony Holiday Pops - 12/18/2014
- Yoga in the Park - 12/18/2014
- Weekday Walkers - 12/18/2014