STVM wins second consecutive state football championship
|Photos: Dale Dong|
The undefeated Fighting Irish (15-0) blew out Trotwood-Madison High School (13-2) Dec. 5 by a score of 24-0 at Massillon Paul Brown Tiger Stadium.
Shown above are STVM team members with their trophy after the win.
STVM’s Evan Cunningham (No. 15), shown at right top at right, kicked a 36-yard field goal in the first quarter to give the Fighting Irish a 3-0 lead.
STVM’s Newman Williams rushed for two touchdowns during the game. Williams (No. 34) is shown at right middle on a touchdown run in the third quarter.
Also scoring for STVM was Vince Lockett, who scored in the fourth quarter with a 1-yard touchdown.
Shown at right bottom is STVM running back Parris Campbell Jr. (No. 21) eluding tackle.
The win marks the seventh state title for the school, according to STVM officials. Other wins came in 1961, 1972, 1981, 1982, 1988 and 2012.
For complete statistics of the game, visit the Ohio High School Athletic Association website at www.ohsaa.org.
— By Kathleen Collins
More Sports News
- Area residents take part in Girls on the Run 5K
- Thanks4Giving football game featuring local players
- Deck the Falls runs supporting Cuyahoga Falls Shop With a Cop program
- Walsh girls soccer team claims state championship
- St. Hilary School team receives sportsmanship award
- Revere U11 team wins tournament
- Turkey Trot 5K Run/Walk scheduled for Nov. 27
- Manchester alumnus inducted into M Club
- New run supporting Life Is Good No Matter What foundation
Calendar of Events
- The University of Akron Brass Choir’s “Home for Thanksgiving” - 11/23/2014
- Jerry McNamee book signing - 11/23/2014
- Metro Parks Book Club: “Choosing Wildness” by Claude Arbour - 11/23/2014
- Candlelight Walk - 11/23/2014
- The University of Akron Percussion Ensemble - 11/24/2014