STVM’s LeBron James Arena opens its doors
Shown above, at center is James’ mother, Gloria James, cutting the ribbon at the dedication. She is shown with, from left, team physician Dr. Mike Magoline; boys basketball coach Dru Joyce; Patty Burdon, director of public relations for STVM; Ellen Zegerra, director of advancement for STVM; and Mike Ochsenhirt, chair of the STVM Executive Board and construction manager for the arena.
Last year, James pledged $1 million to completely renovate his alma mater’s gym, which was gutted and rebuilt to include new hardwood flooring, bleachers, branded scoreboards, lighting and all new sports equipment, according to STVM officials. The renovation also included new locker room facilities for male and female student athletes.
“The days I spent in that gym playing basketball were some of the best times of my life, and I want the current [STVM] students to have an equally amazing experience during their time there,” said James in a press release. “The people at [STVM] helped me grow both as a person and as a basketball player, so this is my way of thanking them and helping future generations of Irish athletes also be proud of where they came from.”
In addition to basketball, the gym, shown below, also will be used for volleyball, wrestling, school assemblies and various school events.
Housed on one of the new gym’s walls, STVM and the LeBron James Family Foundation also unveiled a 3-D timeline of James’ personal, professional and philanthropic history. Shown at right middle is Gloria James unveiling the wall.
During the game that followed, the boys varsity basketball team lost 53-52 against Cleveland Central Catholic.
Shown at right bottom, at left, is STVM’s Johnnie Robinson (No. 2) making his way to the basket.
Shown at right top is STVM’s Jalen Hudson (No. 3), at right, putting the ball in the basket.
— By Kathleen Collins
Photos: Krista Galloway
More Sports News
- Area residents take part in Girls on the Run 5K
- Thanks4Giving football game featuring local players
- Deck the Falls runs supporting Cuyahoga Falls Shop With a Cop program
- Walsh girls soccer team claims state championship
- St. Hilary School team receives sportsmanship award
- Revere U11 team wins tournament
- Turkey Trot 5K Run/Walk scheduled for Nov. 27
- Manchester alumnus inducted into M Club
- New run supporting Life Is Good No Matter What foundation
Calendar of Events
- The University of Akron Brass Choir’s “Home for Thanksgiving” - 11/23/2014
- Jerry McNamee book signing - 11/23/2014
- Metro Parks Book Club: “Choosing Wildness” by Claude Arbour - 11/23/2014
- Candlelight Walk - 11/23/2014
- The University of Akron Percussion Ensemble - 11/24/2014