Seniors looking to lead Green wrestling team to success
GREEN — According to Green High School wrestling head coach Nate Eicher, the strength of this year’s team is a strong senior class, led by a trio of returning district qualifiers from last year.
“I have been here to see the majority of this team grow since freshmen,” he stated. “They truly have bought in to our mentality and work very hard for our staff.”
The seniors on this year’s team (with comments on each by the coach) are as follows:
- Chris Doyle: “He finished sixth at districts and has really put in a lot of time over the summer. He looks to be strong and big, returning to the 113 class.”
- Jake Gladwell: “He is a district qualifier who has gotten physically a lot stronger, as well as becoming very fluid in his attacks.”
- Mickey Munsey: “One of the hardest workers on the team, he has a gas tank for days and is really coming together on his feet. He is a real hard-nosed kid.”
- Jake Bostic: “One of the most athletic kids on the team, he is coming off a very strong football season. He was also a district qualifier.”
- Kyle Valatka: “He is staying up in the upper weights after fighting some injuries from last postseason, but he has rehabbed and looks to come back strong when eligible.”
- Anthony Thomas: “Thomas will be competing at our 195 class. Coming back from a few years off, he looks to be someone who can really bring in some pins for this year and makes the team tough in upper weights.”
Overall, Eicher said, Green has plenty of experience this season.
“There are a lot of veterans in that we have 14 kids returning that have seen varsity time last year, and we have four of seven returning district qualifiers,” he said. “We also have a very strong junior class with another returning district qualifier and strong 132-pounder Ryan Kaminski coming back from being injured all year last year. Returning district placer Noah Schuab just missed a state berth and is one of the hardest workers. Kyle Higley, a strong performer for us last year, will be competing for the 138 class and saw a lot of action last year. Junior Chase Walker has worked very hard in the offseason and fights very hard.”
Eicher cited junior Ryan Kaminski as a wrestler people may be surprised by this season.
“He is one of the toughest kids in the room,” the coach said. “He missed almost all of last season, but he is someone who has great takedowns and never stops moving. Look for him to do big things in the postseason. He is a true dark horse that will wake people up.”
In addition, Eicher said, a trio of underclassmen will look to play key roles for the team this season.
“Sophomore Floyd Rogers looks to compete again. At 220 pounds, he has grown a lot in size and stature and strength. He is getting very confident in his attacks,” the coach stated. “Floyd’s brother, freshman Nate Rogers, is very scrappy and has many tricks for a young kid. He’s very tenacious. And sophomore Wyatt Lancaster saw a lot of varsity time and has come back an overall stronger athlete.”
The team’s realistic goals for this season, Eicher said, are a top two finish in the league and a top five finish at sectionals. The team also would like to send as many as six wrestlers to districts.
“We are not where we need to be just yet, but with their work ethic, we will move quickly, and I truly believe we will be a better team each week of the season,” he said. “I really look to improve on our on-the-mat wrestling. Last year’s focus was based a lot on learning to attack and push the pace. This year, we’re learning on keeping the pace going on the mat and transitioning to scores right away.”
More Sports News
- New boating launch point available in Cuyahoga Falls
- Annual charity volleyball tournament benefiting Falls family
- Copley U12 team wins championship
- G League teams end season as winners
- Copley Elite U12 softball team wins championship
- Preparations underway for 10th annual Kick for the Cure
- Safety stressed when fishing, boating in Portage Lakes
Calendar of Events
- Nature’s Magic Act: Caterpillars - 7/31/2016
- Cooking With Herbs - 7/31/2016
- Akron Symphony Orchestra - 7/31/2016
- Hudson Stamp Show - 7/31/2016
- Hunting for Grasshoppers - 7/31/2016