Revere girls basketball team starting strong this season
BATH — The Revere girls basketball team is out to a strong start, but head coach Kevin Verde said that should only make the team want to work hard to become even better.
“As a coach, I would like to see our team continue to grow. If you become stagnant in a sport, people are passing you,” he stated. “We cannot look at our early success as a badge of honor and wear it on our chest proudly. We have to look at it as a bull’s-eye on our back and be prepared for everyone’s best shot. We have to continue to get better. If we don’t, we will be that team that had a great beginning but fizzled out as other teams got better.”
Verde said this year’s squad features “a very good mix” of senior leaders and younger players with plenty of basketball experience.
The seniors on this year’s team (with quotes by the coach) are:
- Dani Baker: “She is a post player for us that has done everything we have asked her to do this year. Dani has accepted her role and is doing it extremely well. She has shown great leadership skills in doing this.”
- Kaylyn Roose: “Kaylyn is a girl who will give you everything she has. She is also a girl that strives for perfection and wears her emotions on her sleeve. She is another girl who has accepted her role … and her competitiveness is something that we hope will continue.”
- Marissa Harbath: “Marissa is a girl who we approached last year and asked her to take on a role of less of an offensive player and more of a defensive stopper. She has taken that role to heart this year. In just about every game this year, Marissa has been matched up on the other team’s best player. She has been a major reason for our team’s early success.”
Two of the team’s juniors — Julie Garcia and Natalie Lewis — are multi-sport athletes at Revere, while a third — Lu Li — is an exchange student from China.
“I am so glad that this girl decided to play basketball,” the coach said. “Imagine going to a country that speaks a language that is not your primary language and then trying to do something that you have never done before.”
With seven underclassmen in their 10-player rotation, the team is fairly young this year, Verde said.
“With youth comes a bright future, but also some growing pains,” he stated. “We have played extremely well as a whole, but we have also made some mistakes throughout individual games that gave us chances to learn from. Our expectations at the beginning of the season have always been the same — to reach our max potential.”
The team’s sophomores are Abby Brock, Camryn Brown, Hailey Hujer, Alyssa Nicholas and Caitlin Vari.
“Abby is a great shooter and is going to be a big piece of the future of Revere basketball. She is a hard worker and deserves success,” the coach said. “Camryn is a starter and was a starter her freshman year. She made first team All-Suburban League as a freshman and also received All-Ohio honors. She is the leader on the floor as the point guard. Hailey is a spark plug who will mix it up with anyone. She gives us a toughness that is missing in girls basketball. Alyssa is another starter that had some starts last year. We asked Alyssa to take on more of a scoring role this year. She has done this very well. Caitlin is another starter and was first-team All-Suburban League last year as a freshman. She also had All-Ohio honors. She is the girl we look for to score and defend every game. We look for her to be an inside and outside threat.”
Verde said freshmen Viktoria Farian and Emily Brock play major minutes for the team.
“Viktoria gives us something we have lacked in the past, and that is toughness in the post. Most girls shy away from contact; Viktoria will mix it up. She is a tenacious rebounder,” the coach stated. “Emily is a great on-ball defender and gives us another outside shooter and ball-handler when she is on the floor.”
In addition, the coach said, freshmen Caitlyn Auletta, Alexa Langenfeld, Avery Miller-Dakota and Kailia Sense play on the junior varsity squad and will fill varsity spots at times this season.
More Sports News
Calendar of Events
- Teen Advisory Board - 1/17/2017
- Yoga for Homeschoolers: ages 8-12 - 1/17/2017
- Prague Philharmonia with Sarah Chang - 1/17/2017
- Medicare Seminar - 1/17/2017
- Brian Keith Wallen - 1/18/2017