Norton wrestler wins title at Bill Dies Wrestling Tournament
While Brecksville High School won first overall, Norton High School’s Sean Rutherford took first in the 220-pound weight class. Rutherford defeated Woodridge High School’s Mason Hilling to take the win.
Placing second was Woodridge’s Eil Yoho in the 113-pound weight class. As a team, Woodridge finished in 19th place.
Overall, Norton High School finished in 11th place with a fifth-place finish by Nick Farmer (132 pounds) and seventh-place finishes by John Glas (285 pounds) and Mike Dyer (170 pounds).
Farmer is shown below, at right, as Canfield High School’s Stephan Daprile reaches for his leg.
Copley High School finished 12th overall and was led by Antwon Pugh, who won third in 120 pounds. Pugh is shown at right bottom, on bottom, grappling with Brecksville’s Austin Assad.
Copley’s Tanmay Shah placed fourth in 106 pounds, and fellow Indians Chris Burke (285 pounds) placed sixth and Arman Samouk (220 pounds) placed seventh.
Other third-place finishes included Revere High School’s Ahmad Khatib in 182 pounds and Firestone’s Jovahn Fair in 285 pounds.
Khatib is shown at right top, at left, trying to take down Norton’s Dylan Whyde.
Fair is shown above, at left, wrestling Manchester’s Jacob Hanzel in the 285-pound weight class. Hanzel ended up winning the championship in 285 pounds.
Archbishop Hoban High School’s Lukus Stricker placed seventh in 106 pounds.
Highland High School’s David McCormick (120 pounds) placed eighth.
Other overall team scores included: Revere, 25th; Firestone, 32nd; Highland High School, 32nd; Buchtel High School, 37th; and Hoban, 38th.
For complete results, visit www.billdies.com.
— By Kathleen Collins
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Sports News
- Inaugural Holly Run raises funds for cancer charity
- Copley wrestling team off to strong start
- West Side Scoreboard
- Woodridge girls basketball team competing for conference crown
- Green boys swim team looking to maintain improvement
- Manchester girls basketball team out to fast start
- Coventry athlete signs letter of intent
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 12/23/2014
- A New Beginning - 12/24/2014
- Presents for Nature Realm Critters - 12/24/2014
- School’s Out Cookout: bring hot dogs and buns - 12/26/2014
- A New Adventure - 12/27/2014