Bald eagles return to Cuyahoga Valley National Park
CVNP — Returning bald eagles are actively tending to last year’s nest within the Pinery Narrows area in Cuyahoga Valley National Park (CVNP), park officials announced. To protect the eagles from human disturbance, the area surrounding the nest tree will be closed until July 31. The Pinery Narrows area is north of Station Road Bridge Trailhead in Brecksville. While the Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath Trail remains open, the National Park Service will close the following areas:
- The railroad tracks and 30-foot right-of-way on either side of the railroad track are closed to all pedestrian traffic from the state Route 82 Bridge at Station Road Visitor Use Area, north to the railroad tracks at the Fitzwater Yard.
- The Cuyahoga River downstream of the Brecksville (state Route 82) Dam to the Fitzwater Road Bridge is closed to all water activities (fishing, wading and boating). Fishing is permitted at the dam.
In late winter, eagles lay one to three eggs that are incubated for approximately 35 days. According to CVNP officials, eagle eggs are extremely sensitive to cold temperatures, so adults must remain on the nest constantly, and human disturbance can disrupt this constant care, jeopardizing nesting success. Although recently removed from the endangered species list, the bald eagle is still protected by the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act and the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Both federal laws prohibit taking, killing, selling or otherwise harming eagles, their nests or eggs. Bald eagles returned to the Cuyahoga Valley in 2006, after an absence of 70 years. Last year, this pair of bald eagles successfully raised two eaglets.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Sports News
- Runners take part in 14th annual Akron Marathon
- Revere girls soccer coach ‘really pleased’ with team’s results
- OHSAA initiates penalties against Hoban
- Postseason offers new opportunities for Highland girls volleyball team
- Green boys soccer team hitting stride as postseason approaches
- Coventry girls soccer looking for another winning season
Calendar of Events
- Akron-Summit Country Main Library Events - 10/1/2016
- John Gragg and Katie Kopan; John Gragg - 10/1/2016
- Fall Felt Wreath - 10/1/2016
- David Sanborn - 10/1/2016
- Mr. Science - 10/1/2016