Area residents take part in annual Polar Bear Jump
Shown above are both jumpers and supporters at the event that invites area residents to jump into the ice-cold waters of Turkeyfoot Lake to raise funds for various charities.
According to Kelly Pariso, one of the event organizers, a record 900 jumpers helped raise $100,000 for Camp Quality Ohio, located in New Franklin, and the Ronald McDonald House of Akron this year.
Members of the New Franklin Fire Department are shown below suited up and in the water as they watch two jumpers take the plunge in support of the charities.
Another jumper was Mogadore resident Pat Conant, who is pictured at right top reacting after coming out of the frigid water.
Shown at right bottom, from left, is Janelle Brown, Ashley Dario and Cassie Dario, of Akron, also taking the plunge.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Sports News
- Woodridge seeing success in playoffs
- St. Sebastian Booster Club hosts basketball tournament
- Woodridge baseball team earns third consecutive league title
- West Side Scoreboard
- Woodridge boys track ends season with perfect league record
- Copley fourth-grade team wins championship
- Granger Challenge raises over $14,000
- Strong pitching leads Springfield baseball team to wins
- Green softball team earns first-place tie in Suburban League
- New playground unveiled at Uniontown Community Park
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 5/27/2015
- Feeding Time: ages 5 and older - 5/27/2015
- Anime Club - 5/27/2015
- Summer Volunteer Orientation: ages 12-18 - 5/27/2015
- Meet Me in the Garden: Plant and Insect Photography - 5/27/2015