Area high school wrestlers compete in state tournament
COLUMBUS — This area was well represented at the 2014 State Wrestling Tournament, which took place Feb. 27 through March 1 at the Jerome Schottenstein Center at The Ohio State University.
Wrestlers from Norton, Revere, St. Vincent-St. Mary (STVM), Walsh Jesuit and Woodridge high schools and Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy (CVCA) were among those who competed in the annual event.
Individual championships were won by wrestlers from Walsh, STVM and CVCA.
The following is a rundown of the top placers, according to results from the Ohio High School Athletic Association, in the West Side Leader’s coverage area. For complete results, visit www.ohsaa.org.
Walsh placed sixth, with two of its three wrestlers who competed winning individual championships. Warriors Alex Mackall (120 pounds) and Mike Kostandaras (138 pounds) won titles, while fellow warrior Nolan Whitely placed third in the 132-pound weight class.
According to school officials, Kostandaras and Mackall are the first dual title winners for Walsh Jesuit since 2011.
STVM’s Aaron Adkins took home his second consecutive state title with a first-place finish in the 182-pound weight class.
Overall, seven STVM wrestlers competed at state, earning the Fighting Irish a fifth-place finish. STVM’s Ryan Skonieczny (138 pounds) placed third, Garrett Carter (132 pounds) placed seventh and Dre’k Brumley (220 pounds) placed eighth. According to STVM officials, Skonieczny qualified for the state competition all four years while at STVM. He is only one of three wrestlers to do that in the history of the school, according to STVM officials.
Also competing for the Fighting Irish were Sal Ferrise (120 pounds), Walt Gibson (145 pounds) and Ben Knaus (152 pounds).
The three CVCA wrestlers who competed at state all placed within the top five in their weight classes and led the Royals to a seventh-place finish.
CVCA’s Tyler Maclellan won an individual championship in the 195-pound weight class, and fellow Royals Andy Dobben (145 pounds) and Jeff Hojnacki (152 pounds) each placed fifth.
Revere’s Zeck Lehman (170 pounds) and Norton’s Sean Rutherford (220 pounds) each finished in third place.
Revere’s Ahmad Khatib also competed in the 182-pound weight class.
Woodridge’s Cody Jenkins (195 pounds) and Mason Hilling (220 pounds) also competed.
More Sports News
- Woodridge seeing success in playoffs
- St. Sebastian Booster Club hosts basketball tournament
- Woodridge baseball team earns third consecutive league title
- West Side Scoreboard
- Woodridge boys track ends season with perfect league record
- Copley fourth-grade team wins championship
- Granger Challenge raises over $14,000
- Strong pitching leads Springfield baseball team to wins
- Green softball team earns first-place tie in Suburban League
- New playground unveiled at Uniontown Community Park
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- Boogie Woogie Books - 5/26/2015
- A New Beginning - 5/27/2015
- Feeding Time: ages 5 and older - 5/27/2015
- Anime Club - 5/27/2015
- Summer Volunteer Orientation: ages 12-18 - 5/27/2015