Area high school wrestlers compete in state tournament
COLUMBUS — This area was well represented at the 2014 State Wrestling Tournament, which took place Feb. 27 through March 1 at the Jerome Schottenstein Center at The Ohio State University.
Wrestlers from Norton, Revere, St. Vincent-St. Mary (STVM), Walsh Jesuit and Woodridge high schools and Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy (CVCA) were among those who competed in the annual event.
Individual championships were won by wrestlers from Walsh, STVM and CVCA.
The following is a rundown of the top placers, according to results from the Ohio High School Athletic Association, in the West Side Leader’s coverage area. For complete results, visit www.ohsaa.org.
Walsh placed sixth, with two of its three wrestlers who competed winning individual championships. Warriors Alex Mackall (120 pounds) and Mike Kostandaras (138 pounds) won titles, while fellow warrior Nolan Whitely placed third in the 132-pound weight class.
According to school officials, Kostandaras and Mackall are the first dual title winners for Walsh Jesuit since 2011.
STVM’s Aaron Adkins took home his second consecutive state title with a first-place finish in the 182-pound weight class.
Overall, seven STVM wrestlers competed at state, earning the Fighting Irish a fifth-place finish. STVM’s Ryan Skonieczny (138 pounds) placed third, Garrett Carter (132 pounds) placed seventh and Dre’k Brumley (220 pounds) placed eighth. According to STVM officials, Skonieczny qualified for the state competition all four years while at STVM. He is only one of three wrestlers to do that in the history of the school, according to STVM officials.
Also competing for the Fighting Irish were Sal Ferrise (120 pounds), Walt Gibson (145 pounds) and Ben Knaus (152 pounds).
The three CVCA wrestlers who competed at state all placed within the top five in their weight classes and led the Royals to a seventh-place finish.
CVCA’s Tyler Maclellan won an individual championship in the 195-pound weight class, and fellow Royals Andy Dobben (145 pounds) and Jeff Hojnacki (152 pounds) each placed fifth.
Revere’s Zeck Lehman (170 pounds) and Norton’s Sean Rutherford (220 pounds) each finished in third place.
Revere’s Ahmad Khatib also competed in the 182-pound weight class.
Woodridge’s Cody Jenkins (195 pounds) and Mason Hilling (220 pounds) also competed.
More Sports News
- Area schools compete in annual wrestling tourney
- Coach impressed with improvement shown by Revere swim teams
- Undefeated Copley boys team wins division
- Elms basketball team out to best start in three years
- Copley girls soccer team ends perfect season
- Green boys bowling team aiming for more postseason success
- Coventry boys looking to defend hoops title
- Area schools compete in 30th annual wrestling tournament
Calendar of Events
- Puppet Show: Mindy Mouse Finds a Flower - 1/21/2017
- Akron Symphony: Beethoven’s Ninth - 1/21/2017
- The Resurrection of Stevie Ray Vaughan starring Billy Evanochko - 1/21/2017
- Barbara Knight Trio; East of Seattle - 1/21/2017
- Black Romance Necklace - 1/21/2017