Area high school wrestlers compete in state tournament
COLUMBUS — This area was well represented at the 2014 State Wrestling Tournament, which took place Feb. 27 through March 1 at the Jerome Schottenstein Center at Ohio State University.
Wrestlers from Coventry, Green, Manchester, Norton, St. Vincent-St. Mary (STVM) and Walsh Jesuit high schools and Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy (CVCA) were among those who competed in the annual event.
Individual championships were won by wrestlers from CVCA, Manchester, STVM and Walsh.
The following is a rundown of the top placers, according to results from the Ohio High School Athletic Association, in the South Side News Leader’s coverage area. For complete results, visit www.ohsaa.org.
Walsh placed sixth, with two of its three wrestlers who competed winning individual championships. Warriors Alex Mackall (120 pounds) and Mike Kostandaras (138 pounds) won titles, while fellow warrior Nolan Whitely placed third in the 132-pound weight class.
According to school officials, Kostandaras and Mackall are the first dual title winners for Walsh Jesuit since 2011.
Green’s Chris Doyle placed seventh in the 113-pound weight class. Also competing were Noah Schaub (120 pounds), Ryan Kaminski (138 pounds) and Jake Gladwell (182 pounds).
STVM’s Aaron Adkins took home his second consecutive state title with a first-place finish in the 182-pound weight class.
Overall, seven STVM wrestlers competed at state, earning the Fighting Irish a fifth-place finish. STVM’s Ryan Skonieczny (138 pounds) placed third, Garrett Carter (132 pounds) placed seventh and Dre’k Brumley (220 pounds) placed eighth.
According to STVM officials, Skonieczny qualified for the state competition all four years while at STVM. He is only one of three wrestlers to do that in the history of the school, according to STVM officials.
Also competing for the Fighting Irish were Sal Ferrise (120 pounds), Walt Gibson (145 pounds) and Ben Knaus (152 pounds).
The three CVCA wrestlers who competed at state all placed within the top five in their weight classes and led the Royals to a seventh-place finish.
CVCA’s Tyler Maclellan won an individual championship in the 195-pound weight class, and fellow Royals Andy Dobben (145 pounds) and Jeff Hojnacki (152 pounds) each placed fifth.
Norton’s Sean Rutherford (220 pounds) finished in third place.
Coventry’s Zack Lake (145 pounds) also competed.
Manchester sent three wrestlers to state, with all of them placing in the top eight in their weight classes. Overall, the Panthers finished in 13th place.
Panther Jacob Hanzel led the team with a championship in the 285-pound weight class. Joey Bowen (106 pounds) finished in seventh, and Drew Brasiel (160 pounds) placed eighth.
More Sports News
- Walsh boys basketball team defeats Hoban
- UFC Fight Night 82@!!Watch Hendricks, vs Thompson Live Stream Online Free // Fox.tv
- Medina gymnasts excel at meet
- @V!~Watch oklahoma City Thunders ~vs~ Golden State Warriors Live Stream Online Free //Regular Season 2016
- Revere girls basketball team taking ‘different path’ to reach goals
- @Q!Hendricks ~ vs Thompson Live Stream Online Free // Watch UFC Fight Night 82 Online FREE
- Walsh girls basketball team looking forward to postseason challenges
- West Side Scoreboard
- Woodridge wrestling coach pleasantly surprised by team’s effort
- Manchester wrestling team gearing up for league meet
- Green boys basketball team adjusting to Federal League
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- “Death of a Man” - 2/7/2016
- Pinterest Projects - 2/7/2016
- Nature Drawing for Kids: ages 6-12 - 2/7/2016
- Feeding Time: ages 5 and older - 2/7/2016
- Belly Dancing Fitness Class - 2/8/2016