Springfield softball team has eyes on 2014 PTC title
SPRINGFIELD — First-year Springfield High School softball head coach Carly Frey said her players have their “eyes set on winning” the Portage Trail Conference (PTC) title this year.
“We will be focused on trying to win each game and each at bat,” she said. “We will really be paying attention to each step of the way. The girls are really excited and they want to leave their mark.”
Last year, Frey said, the team finished 25-5 overall, but did not win the league championship.
“Winning the PTC is my first goal, but I have goals that would take me clear to June,” she said. “To get there, we have to do a lot of small things right first. We need to take each team seriously, take each inning seriously, and dominate through each of those. We can never get ahead of ourselves.”
Springfield has nine returning players from last year’s team, Frey said, including “four or five” returning starters.
Among the returnees is senior Chloe Williams, the team’s No. 1 pitcher this year.
“Chloe is a quiet leader,” Frey said. “She does all of the small things right, and leads with experience and poise. I’m 100 percent confident in her being on the mound for us this year. She’s done nothing but positive things for the team.”
The team’s other seniors this year include Kassy Flores, Mandi Moore, Makayla Pigott, Alexis Slider and Shyann Powell.
“This senior class is unlike anything I have ever coached before. There is just so much leadership from every angle,” Frey noted. “They are leaders on and off the field. They care and they believe in each other. It has been an unreal experience to watch them grow as a group. ”
Another notable returning player on this year’s squad is junior middle infielder Deanna Cole.
“She has lightning speed and provides leadership on offense and defense,” the coach said. “She is a key batter for us. She can play anywhere for us and I expect her to continue to lead the team.”
Other key players on the team include juniors Laura Stubbs and Kennedy Colegrove.
“Laura is a great player for us at shortstop. She brings a light-heartedness to our team and she’s a good hitter,” the coach said. “Kennedy will play first base. She’s been fantastic with her bat thus far.”
Frey said her hitters are looking to be “patient, yet aggressive” this season.
“The hitters are going to wait for what they want and then attack it,” she stated. “I’m seeing lots of great mechanics. There’s a lot of threat in our lineup. We have hitters who can bat from both sides, we have single hitters and we have strong hitters. It’s going to be a strong lineup.”
Springfield’s season will get underway March 31 at 4:15 p.m. against Waterloo High School.
Frey — who is assisted by Paula Murphy, Jeff Kurtz and Ashley Shaheen — said the team has a “great family atmosphere.”
“This is a very cohesive group,” she said. “They work really hard to support each other and I think that, coupled with their ability and all that is Springfield softball, will allow them to reach for the stars. I don’t think anything is out of the question for us if we continue to work together.”
More Sports News
- Copley boys, girls soccer teams win district titles
- Firestone swim marathon kicking off Nov. 1
- Highland volleyball team ends season on strong note
- Copley football team looking to clinch winning season
- West Side Scoreboard
- Copley teams face off in championshipq
- Revere team wins league, tournament titles
- Chippewa Youth Trapshooting Club celebrating 10 years
- Copley travel team ends successful season
- Cleveland Futbol Club U12 team wins third straight state cup title
- Green boys cross country team sending two runners to state
- Green girls cross country team headed to state meet
- Coventry girls soccer team scores successful season
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- “Virtues and Vices” to benefit Child Guidance and Family Solutions - 11/1/2014
- Neos Dance Theatre’s “Count: The Legend of Dracula” - 11/1/2014
- Basket Weaving 101: Pumpkin Basket - 11/1/2014
- Learn and Do Safety Fair - 11/1/2014
- Composting - 11/1/2014