Revere boys track looking for strong finish to season
BATH — According to head coach Dave Parry, this year’s Revere High School boys track team is young in terms of track experience, but the squad has “improved tremendously” over the course of the season.
“We have a great bunch of guys on this year’s team,” he said. “The kids have worked hard and have committed to the program. They are very coachable and willing to try new things to help the team out however they can. As the season has progressed, we have gotten stronger and faster. Each week, the guys are setting new personal records and becoming more competitive.”
Parry said proof of the team’s improvement can be seen in the results.
“Last season, we ended up seventh in the league,” he stated. “This year, it looks like we can be fifth or sixth in the league. We have beaten Cloverleaf and Highland already and look to be very competitive next week at our league meet.”
Leading the way for the team this year is Andrew Robinson.
“He is our fastest runner in the 100, 200 and 400. He is also our best long-jumper,” the coach said. “Andrew is one of the top athletes in the league overall, with the ability to be in the top three in any of those events. He is getting very close to breaking the school record in the 400. He excels and has a competitive drive both in the classroom and athletic arena. Andrew has developed into one of our top leaders. Not only does he lead through his words, but also by example.”
Other seniors on this year’s team (with comments on each by the coach) include the following:
- Dylan Geig: “He is a first-year track runner as a senior. He has had a huge impact on our team, and I only wish he would have started as a freshman. Dylan is our top high jumper, one of our best long jumpers and one of the fastest 400 runners on the team. He has helped us in many events and has been a great leader. I am very excited to see what he can do in the postseason.”
- Jordan Moul: “He has been our best distance runner all season. He has excelled in both the mile and 2 mile. Jordan has been one of our top point-scorers throughout the season and is always very reliable. His success from cross country has continued this track season. Nobody works as hard as Jordan and it shows. It has truly been a pleasure to coach him and see him run.”
- Everett McGregor: “He has been a four-year member of the team. He is one of our most versatile runners doing whatever the team needs. Everett is one of those athletes you can put in any number of events, track or field, and you know he will perform well. He is a great person and has been a pleasure to coach.”
This year’s team features “a number of very promising up-and-coming underclassmen,” Parry said, highlighted by a trio of sophomores.
“Ben Berry is one of the best 800 runners in the league and will be a very important part of our 4x400 relay team,” he said. “Steven Kronenberger has recorded some of the fastest times on our team in the 100, 400 and 800. He runs every race with a determination seen in very few. He will have an impact on the league this year and, even more so, next year. Daniel Branch is one of the fastest 400 runners in the league. He is a first-year runner who is now just starting to figure out his races. He is a very talented athlete who is going to take the league by storm. The postseason is going to be fun for him.”
The team’s top postseason goal, Parry said, is a top five spot in the Suburban League.
“We also expect to be very competitive at our district meet and qualify a number of athletes to the regional meet,” he said. “It is our goal as a team to get our 4x400 relay team to the state meet. We are also hopeful to send Andrew Robinson in the 400 and Ben Berry in the 800 to state.”
More Sports News
- Firestone swimmers celebrate seniors at last home meet
- West Side Scoreboard
- Woodridge girls basketball team improving ‘in every aspect’
- Copley boys basketball team looking to maintain undefeated season
- Chili Open golfers warm up for spring
- Manchester girls basketball coach looking forward to playoffs
- Walsh girls basketball team ready for postseason challenges
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- Wildlife and Wood Workshop: Squirrel Feeder - 2/13/2016
- Laughing Club - 2/13/2016
- David Allan Coe - 2/13/2016
- “Death of a Man” - 2/13/2016
- Puppet Show: Mindy Mouse Finds a Flower - 2/13/2016