Green girls track team looking to repeat as league champs
GREEN — In 2013, the Green High School girls track team finished the year with a 3-4 overall record and won the Suburban League meet at the end of the season. Through May 5, Green had already matched its win total from a year ago by getting out to a 3-2 start.
Head coach Maedene Pfouts said her team is continuing to learn how good it can be.
“We have seen continuous improvement as our season has progressed,” she said. “This has been a tough practice season due to poor weather conditions, yet our girls have continued to reach their goals.”
Leading the way for Green this season, Pfouts said, is a strong group of seniors.
“Our top scorers are Ashley Augustynovich (3200), Brook Barrickman (long jump), Kierra Campbell (long jump, high jump and sprints) Taylor Elrod (relays), Emily Hooker (high jump and sprints), Samantha Kitchen (sprints), Hannah Smith (hurdles), Emily Cannon (sprints), Heather Daniels (long jump) and Lauren Rossiter (shot put),” the coach said.
Overall, however, this year’s squad features plenty of underclassmen.
“This is a young team,” the coach said. “We have 37 freshmen. [It is a] strong freshman group”
And with so many newcomers on the team this season, Pfouts said Green has been busy working on finding “the right combination for relays,” while also trying to improve its depth.
“We do not have depth again this year,” she said. “We have several strong athletes that get firsts. Every meet, we encourage second and third placements. Each meet, we are improving in that area.”
According to Pfouts, field events are a definite strength for this year’s team, led by: Hooker (5 feet, 2 inches), Campbell (4-8) and sophomore Olga Branney (5-6) in the high jump; junior Alissa Jenkins (11) in the pole vault; Campbell (15-9) and Jenkins (15-5) in the long jump; junior Liz Mogus (117) in the discus; and Rossiter (33-1) in the shot put.
“Emily Hooker is our top record holder. She holds records in the 4x100, 4x200, 4x400, 400 (55.19), 100 (12.3) and 200 (25.9),” the coach said. “Olga Branney also holds the record in high jump at 5 foot, 6 inches.”
Pfouts has been coaching track at Green for 11 years, and she is in her second year as the girls track head coach. Her assistant coaches this season are: Dan Gourley in sprints, relays and hurdles; Jake Saylor in distance; and Matthew Ohlson in throws.
The team’s top goal for the season, Pfouts said, is to take home another league title.
“Last year, we ended the season with a win in the Suburban League meet,” the coach stated. “We are hoping for another successful ending to our season this year.”
More Sports News
- Walsh boys basketball team defeats Hoban
- UFC Fight Night 82@!!Watch Hendricks, vs Thompson Live Stream Online Free // Fox.tv
- Medina gymnasts excel at meet
- @V!~Watch oklahoma City Thunders ~vs~ Golden State Warriors Live Stream Online Free //Regular Season 2016
- Revere girls basketball team taking ‘different path’ to reach goals
- @Q!Hendricks ~ vs Thompson Live Stream Online Free // Watch UFC Fight Night 82 Online FREE
- Walsh girls basketball team looking forward to postseason challenges
- West Side Scoreboard
- Woodridge wrestling coach pleasantly surprised by team’s effort
- Manchester wrestling team gearing up for league meet
- Green boys basketball team adjusting to Federal League
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- “Death of a Man” - 2/7/2016
- Pinterest Projects - 2/7/2016
- Nature Drawing for Kids: ages 6-12 - 2/7/2016
- Feeding Time: ages 5 and older - 2/7/2016
- Belly Dancing Fitness Class - 2/8/2016