Green High School boys track team making strides
GREEN — According to head coach Paul Hane, this year’s Green High School boys track team features a nice mix of youth and experience.
“We have 65 to 70 guys on the team and I think we have a pretty good balance between all four classes,” the coach said. “Some of our best guys that came back this season are actually underclassmen, so even though they’ve been competitive, they still don’t have the years.”
Two notable seniors on this year’s team, Hane said, are Keith Jarvis and Carson Corle.
“Keith is one of our throwers, and he actually broke our school record in the shot put earlier in the season. The record had been there since 1974, so that was quite a feat. Keith also does discus for us, because he might throw in college, and he ended up becoming one of our best discus throwers, too,” the coach said. “Carson is our hurdler and he happens to be our best long-jumper, too. The hurdles are his forte, though. He was at the regional track meet last year in the 100 hurdles. He’s quite a competitor and he’s been running really well this year.”
Hane said senior Ben Barry has proven to be a versatile athlete for the team.
“He’s a pretty decent pole-vaulter and just a great young man,” the coach said. “We also incorporated him into our 400 relay. He’s our anchor on the 400 relay even though he hadn’t done very many running events at all — just a token sprint here and there to stay in shape. But he’s actually quite fast, so we put him on the relay and he loves it. He’s done a nice job for us.”
Other key seniors on the team include Blair Thompson and Kevin Guilmette.
“Blair is a sprinter and a middle distance guy for us. He does a lot of stuff — everything we ask for — and he’s just had a very good season. He trained a lot before the season,” the coach said. “Kevin’s just like Blair. They basically run the same events and he’s done a nice job for us. Kevin is kind of our vocal leader and he’s done a really nice job of taking a leadership role this year. He’ll run anything that we need him to run and he’ll step up and do it well.”
Green is 4-3 in dual meets in the Suburban League this season.
“We always have pretty high expectations. Our ultimate goal every year is to win the league,” Hane said. “The unfortunate thing, and it’s also a good thing, is that the Suburban League is very competitive in track. I mean, we have great teams, especially up at the top. We face some very good competition.”
The entire team has “definitely” shown improvement as the season has progressed, the coach said.
“We like where we’re headed,” he said. “Our times are coming down and our distances and our heights are better. We have made great strides and I’m very pleased with what we have done and proud of the work ethic we have.”
Hane said his athletes are in a great situation to try to meet some of their postseason goals.
“In the regular season, we try to win every meet we can. In the postseason, it’s a little bit different,” he said. “It’s pretty tough to win those meets — whether it’s the league meet or a district meet or so forth. In the league meet, we’ll just try to score the most points that we can and always try to finish as high as we can in the standings. After that, in the district meet and the regional meet, we will just try to qualify guys and see if we can extend the season for any of our athletes. If we can continue to do that, hopefully we can get some individuals or relay teams to the state meet. That’s our ultimate goal.”
More Sports News
- Walsh boys basketball team defeats Hoban
- UFC Fight Night 82@!!Watch Hendricks, vs Thompson Live Stream Online Free // Fox.tv
- Medina gymnasts excel at meet
- @V!~Watch oklahoma City Thunders ~vs~ Golden State Warriors Live Stream Online Free //Regular Season 2016
- Revere girls basketball team taking ‘different path’ to reach goals
- @Q!Hendricks ~ vs Thompson Live Stream Online Free // Watch UFC Fight Night 82 Online FREE
- Walsh girls basketball team looking forward to postseason challenges
- West Side Scoreboard
- Woodridge wrestling coach pleasantly surprised by team’s effort
- Manchester wrestling team gearing up for league meet
- Green boys basketball team adjusting to Federal League
- South Side Scoreboard
Calendar of Events
- Belly Dancing Fitness Class - 2/8/2016
- Tuesday Musical: Marina Piccinini and Andreas Haefliger - 2/9/2016
- Widows and Widowers Under 50 - 2/10/2016
- Downloading with OverDrive; eBook Downloading with Kindle Fire; Know Your Android Tablet - 2/10/2016
- Pinkalicious Party - 2/10/2016